Topic: 46 coupe spring configuration

Johns46coupe    -- 09-24-2010 @ 12:00 PM
  Both the front and rear leaf springs on my car seem to be in an unusual configuration. The "normal" configuration is for the longest leaf (with eyes for the shackle) to be on the bottom and each leaf going up to the frame being shorter. On my car, the shortest two leaves are on the bottom (under the longest leaf). In this position they appear to act only as spacers for the u-bolts. My questions are:
Why would someone do this and what can I expect if I put them back on top?
Thanks in advance for any input!

John

supereal    -- 09-24-2010 @ 12:31 PM
  I suspect that someone, some time, wanted to either lower the car a bit, or sought a softer ride, but didn't want to replace the center tie bolt or clamps. The main leaf goes on the bottom of the stack. You didn't mention how many leaves the springs have. The count varies with the type of vehicle, and it is possible the springs were replaced with the wrong ones. Anyone wishing to produce a slightly lower car should consider the "reverse eye" main leaves.

Johns46coupe    -- 09-24-2010 @ 12:44 PM
  Thanks Super. There are 8 leaves total. The main leaf is not a reversed eye. Guess I'll put it back the way it's supposed to be.

Thanks again.

John

trjford8    -- 09-24-2010 @ 7:28 PM
  Just for info the second leaf wraps around the ends of the main leaf. It acts as a safety leaf in the event the main leaf breaks. If I recall your front spring should have 11 or 12 leafs.

Johns46coupe    -- 09-24-2010 @ 10:17 PM
  Thanks trjford8. Looks like both front & back should have 12 leaves. I have one through six and eleven and twelve on both front and rear. Prior owner must have really gone for a soft, low ride. Guess I'll have to find some leaves.
Thanks again.

John

42wagon    -- 09-25-2010 @ 3:30 AM
  John
I would not fool around with a mixture of new and old or mixed old leaves. The reason being that they are not going to perform alike meaning that eventually you are going to have some broken spring leaves. If you can't find a pair of old springs contact Eaton Spring in Michigan. They have the original Ford specs and can make exact duplicate springs.
Ted

TomO    -- 09-25-2010 @ 9:14 AM
  Mike Dennis in NE has some NOS springs and Baxter Ford in KS had some also.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-25-2010 @ 10:10 AM
  The early 46's had the '42 springs of 11 leaves. This was later replaced with a 12 leaf spring, probably when the supply of the old style was used up. There are two problems with old springs. Many have lost their curvature, reducing strength. Others, perhaps all, have worn "pockets" where the ends of the leaves rest on the one below. The remedy, if you don't replace the whole assembly, is to have at least the main leave re curved, and to grind the pockets flat. In most cases, replacement is best, and not prohibitively expensive.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-25-10 @ 10:11 AM

37 Coupe    -- 09-25-2010 @ 11:38 AM
  What is the width of the 1946 leafs? I have a few "loose leafs",some I think are NOS or at least not used very much,but they may be earlier like 37-41.

supereal    -- 09-25-2010 @ 2:39 PM
  The early leaves, '28-'37 (60 hp) were 1 3/4. Beginning with the '37 85hp, the width for passenger cars thru '48 was 2". Truck springs were a bit wider, at 2.25".

37 Coupe    -- 09-26-2010 @ 6:21 AM
  Well I know what the two set of springs came off of an original 37 coupe with 23,000 miles with a 60 hp and front spring width is 2 " and rear width is 2 1/4" same as 85 hp only difference is one leaf less each than 85 hp. All including some NOS spring leaves I have are either 2" presumably fronts and 2 1/4" rear. No 1 3/4" from 37 60 hp I know of.

trjford8    -- 09-26-2010 @ 7:45 AM
  I hate to disagree with my good friend Bob, but Ford ceased to use the 1 3/4 inch front spring in 1934. The 2 inch front spring came into use in 1935.

supereal    -- 09-26-2010 @ 10:20 AM
  Tom: I was going by the info on page 176 of the green book. It said the narrow spring was used on the '37 60HP, but was replaced that year during production by the wider type. This is likely unimportant due to the low production of the 60. I've seen the wider spring on a tubular 60 front axle. I suspect a good many of the very early 60's were converted to the 85, and probably the heavier spring was necessary to support the increased weight. The question was about sorting out old spring leaves, so I included it. I know the green book isn't always accurate, but it is still the most complete resource we have.

Johns46coupe    -- 09-27-2010 @ 9:07 PM
  Thanks for all the input guys. This forum and you guys are such a great resource.

I'm going to try and get some NOS springs if possible and go from there. I also replaced the shocks (tube type) and will see how it rides. Not sure I want to go with a harder ride.

Thanks again,

John

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-28-2010 @ 5:47 AM
  As I understand it.sedans used a certain amount of leaves ft and rear were the coupe. convertible used different amount of leaves. trucks used another.so
each model may or may not be the same,
so you have to find out how meny leaves you car model used.
my 3 cents worth, 37 RAGTOPMAN,an KEEP on FORDIN

42wagon    -- 09-28-2010 @ 8:13 AM
  According to the 41 to 48 Ford book all 46 cars used an 11 leaf front spring with 12 leaves optional. For the rear, 3 passenger coupe 10 or 11 leaves, 5 passenger coupe 11 leaves, tudor or fordor sedan 12 or 13 leaves, station wagon 15 leaves.

In my opinion removing leaves from the recommended size spring will cause the remaining leaves to be overstressed resulting in eventual spring failure.
Ted

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1914