Topic: Temp sending units

louganser    -- 09-24-2010 @ 8:52 AM
  My dual terminal temp sending unit (driver's side) is bad, so I ordered a replacement. The unit would not fully drop down into the block to the thread level. When I checked the diameter of the new vs the old units, I found the old to be 1/2" and the new 9/16". I've got a call into the supplier. Has anyone run into this problem with sending units?

Lou G

supereal    -- 09-24-2010 @ 10:44 AM
  The two prong sender is the same for 40-53. Apparently, someone sent you the wrong unit. The same sender, which is actually just a switch, not a sender as such, was used on the later 54-56 engines, but requires a bushing for those.
The two prong switch shows a "short" between the terminals until it reaches the boiling point, then opens to let the gauge fall to the hot side.

bo8109b    -- 09-24-2010 @ 12:23 PM
  My '48 accepts a 5/8 thread sender. Could you possibly have a 1/2" bushing in your block?

louganser    -- 09-25-2010 @ 5:56 AM
  The unit looks exactly like the original I removed. The thread size is identical. The unit only drops down into the block about half way before hitting something in the block casting. The new unit is "licensed by Ford.." and is sold by several after market suppliers.

Lou G

louganser    -- 09-25-2010 @ 6:07 AM
  The sealed plastic bag is labeled "official licensed (Ford)product 3024" and has the correct part number 8A-10990. The unit I removed from the block is different only to the extent that the tube is fluted. The diameter is 1/2". The thread size is identical on the new unit, but the tube portion is not fluted and it measures 9/16" diameter. I haven't opened the bag with the single pole unit. I think is just more Chinese junk! I've got a call into my supplier.

Lou G

51f1    -- 09-25-2010 @ 2:34 PM
  Be careful about calling stuff "Chinese junk." I got some reproduction parts from Carpenter that were junk. I wrote a scathing letter to them complaining about Chinese junk. Turns out that the parts were made by a friend of Dennis Carpenter. It was still junk! I don't think anyone at these suppliers ever looks at the parts they sell. They get them in boxes and never open them. Most of the old timers are probably gone now, so the new guys wouldn't know what they were looking at anyway.

Richard

Stroker    -- 09-25-2010 @ 2:44 PM
  This is kind of a "stretch", but is it possible that they sent you a high-temp cut-off switch instead of a temp sensor? These have two terminals, a "fluted" bulb, are are intended to be used on trucks to interrupt the primary lead to the ignition. Our 40,41,42 ton-and-a-half's, and Towt Windmachines (59A's) had these on the dual outlet heads. The concept was that they were filled with a tar like substance that would melt at about 220 deg. F, and shut the engine down. They could be re-set by turning them upside down in boiling water until they gained continuity between the two terminals. They looked like temp sensors, but were not intended to be hooked to the temp gage, just the ignition primary.

louganser    -- 09-26-2010 @ 1:15 PM
  The plastic bag it came in is labeled "temp sender bulb/in cyl. head/two prong..part 8A-10990 Licensed by Ford". I found out that they are made in the USA. Joblot Auto (I did not buy these them from them)said that they've sold over 200 of these(made by the same mfr.) and that they've seen this problem a couple of times. They asked if my headers were stock, which they are. I'm going to call NOS parts suppliers to see if they have any like my originals.

Lou G

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1912