Topic: 49 Ford Ignition Swithch Removal

Eric    -- 09-24-2010 @ 7:20 AM
  Hi to all!
I recently got my first old Ford, so I’m new to the group. It is a '49 4dr 6cyl w/ overdrive. It had been sitting for many years and the fellow I got it from had lost the keys.
I have gotten it running pretty well by hot wiring it, my new Minnesota collector plates have arrived, and I want to get the tumbler keyed so I can drive it in a normal fashion. I've worked with a variety of cars for almost 50 years now, so was a bit surprised when after a hour upside down under the dash I couldn't figure out how to get the ignition switch out. How do I get the ignition switch assembly out of the dash so I can get it to a lock smith and have a key made?
Thanks in advance.
Eric

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-24-2010 @ 8:56 AM
  it would be a loT easier to drive the car to a lock smith and let him pick the lock and make you a set of keys,or let him come to you,
he will have to charge you either way for picking the lock and all you are doing is making more work for you,
I think you have to have the key to remove the cylinder, buy using the key and a paper clip,there should be a little hole to push the paper clip in and turn the key to the right and pull tumbler out,then the outside ring will unscrew and reove the ign switch from the rear,of dash, there are many wire attached.so mark them before removing them,
I am dong this by memory., so bear with me,ITS BEEN A WHILE ,,,,!!!!!!!!
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!

trjford8    -- 09-24-2010 @ 7:34 PM
  The 49 switch is removed the following way: push on the outside bezel and reach behind the dash and grab the bodyof the switch. Push forward towards the bezel and twist. I don't recall which direction to twist, but once the switch pops loose from the bezel it will drop right out. There's a spring behind the dash between the switch and the bezel, so the switch will move backwards.

51f1    -- 09-25-2010 @ 4:26 AM
  I've had keys made by locksmiths for Ford locks from the late 40s and early 50s for which I had no key. It's relatively easy (for the locksmith). The locksmith should have the key blank. If he doesn't, reproduction key blanks, which you might prefer, are available from various old Ford parts suppliers. Or you can have a key made now with a generic blank and have it copied to a reproduction blank later.

I suggest removing the ignition switch as described above and taking just the switch (with lock,of course) to the locksmith. There is no need to remove the lock from the switch.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 9-25-10 @ 4:28 AM

Eric    -- 09-25-2010 @ 8:07 AM
  Thanks all!

I will try that "push and twist" this afternoon.

Eric

Eric    -- 09-27-2010 @ 7:24 AM
  Thanks guys, it worked!

I'm off to the lock smith.

Eric

trjford8    -- 09-27-2010 @ 8:47 PM
  Eric, you are welcome. Glad we could help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1910