Topic: 39 license plate paint color.

Gary M.    -- 10-25-2009 @ 3:48 PM
  I am restoring some 39 worlds fair license plates which are yellow background with black letters. I have been told that all the restorers use krylon school bus yellow because it is the closest to original. I cleaned a spot in the back of the plate where the paint was still good and did a comparison of a few different paint samples. Rustoleum caterpillar yellow was very close but a bit too light. Krylon school bus yellow seemed more orange than the spot that I cleaned. I am wondering if the original paint is so faded that it makes the krylon school bus yellow look so orange. Should I be comparing new paint to 70 year old paint or should I trust the restorers opinion on color choice ? Any opinions?...

42wagon    -- 10-25-2009 @ 5:09 PM
  Gary
My suggestion is to forget what other people may think the color is. Take the plate to an auto paint store. They can match the paint exactly to what is on the back of the plate. Have them put the small amount you need in a spray can. This is what I did trying to match the shade of green the the state of Connecticut used on the 42 insert tags.
Ted

trjford8    -- 10-25-2009 @ 8:01 PM
  If you can get reasonably close I think you will be fine. I doubt that your local DMV has color chips to match to your plates.

Gary M.    -- 10-26-2009 @ 4:11 PM
  The only thing I am not sure of is just how faded is the original paint? Should I be matching original or should I assume that it was once a darker shade?

wmsteed    -- 10-29-2009 @ 9:29 AM
  If you are talking about the '39 California Worlds Fair license plate.... the original color is not yellow with black letters.
The '39 plates were blue with yellow letters.. The colors are the same as the '73 and later CA plates

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

TomO    -- 10-30-2009 @ 9:57 AM
  There were 2 World fairs in 1939, New York and California. From the colors, I think Gary is talking about New York plates.

Tom

Gary M.    -- 10-30-2009 @ 2:37 PM
  New York plates.Yellow background,black letters.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=191