Topic: Steering/Ignition Lock Disassembly

BobYork    -- 10-25-2009 @ 9:29 AM
  I have a 35 ign lock assy that I need to restore. It has the correct key but the on/off tab is stuck in the on position. Assuming I can free it up and move to the off position so I can remove the lock cylinder, how do a take the remaining components apart so I can clean and lube them?

Don Rogers    -- 10-25-2009 @ 11:34 AM
  Bob, Here are 3 images that I made to describe disassembly of the column lock.

Don Rogers    -- 10-25-2009 @ 11:36 AM
  image #2

Don Rogers    -- 10-25-2009 @ 11:37 AM
  image #3

BobYork    -- 10-25-2009 @ 2:04 PM
  Don, thanks for the response and detail drawings, etc. When I open the drawings they are to small to read but when I try to resize it gets huge no matter what resoluion or size options I choose. Probably just me being computer dianasour. Any suggestions, help would be appreciated. Do you have any parts, I feel sure I will damage something before I get this really stuck unit apart. Bob

Suicide Doors    -- 10-25-2009 @ 4:43 PM
  I combined the images in a PDF file. Hopefully this will work a bit better.

supereal    -- 10-26-2009 @ 9:24 AM
  Bob: We resize photos by sending them to an Adobe Photo Shop program. If you don't have that utility, it is certainly worth the cost. We needed it because our digital camera produces initial photos about 3 feet wide! I'm a computer "dinosaur", too, but with kids and grandkids scattered about, I needed a simple way to exchange pics.

40 Coupe    -- 10-27-2009 @ 5:25 AM
  around 36 the size of the pin that holds the lock to the housing changed. If your removing either the larger or smaller pin use the proper size drill and tap the hole for a set screw that is slightly larger than the original pin. If you wish to use the original type pin to resecure your lock cylinder at assembly then use a drill smaller than the pin and tap the body of the pin, insert a screw and use the screw as a puller to withdraw the pin from the hole without damaging the size of the hole.

BobYork    -- 10-27-2009 @ 8:49 AM
  Thanks for the assist guys, now at least I have a change of doing this right without tearing up something. Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=190