Topic: 1935 Exhaust System

35Phaeton    -- 09-21-2010 @ 6:16 AM
  I will be needing the exhaust, crossover and tail pipes for my 1935 Phaeton in the next several months.

Can anyone reccomend a good better best source for these ?? Someone that makes all three pipes. Maybe even a stainless steel source. I have heard of guys needing to cut and fit pipes and then getting them rewelded to get a proper fit

Locally, Mac's carries these but they can't even tell me the gauge of pipe or the mfg except that each pipe actually comes from a different job lot supplier. Sounds like three different manufacturers, perhaps off shore..

Jim

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-21-2010 @ 6:22 AM
  GIVE JOBLOT a call, be selling parts for many years.
there number is 800 221 0172
or joblotauto.com web site.
hope this helps you out,37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,
SHOP AROUND and ASK QUESTIONS,

40 Coupe    -- 09-21-2010 @ 6:36 AM
  when I did my 35 i had to send pipes back to Macs and they did not have a muffler. got the muffler someplace else and still had to bend the crossover. there is probably only one source for all of the suppliers, one place may make the Y pipe and another the crossover and a third the tail but you will most likely get the same from any supplier unless you get into a custom muffler shop or NOS which is not available. expect what you buy not to fit, sad to say. I was not happy with the oversize terminations to the manifolds from Macs

TomO    -- 09-21-2010 @ 7:50 AM
  Kepich makes the exhaust pipes in both stainless and aluminized. His pipes fit fairly well. The crossover and the Y pipe fit perfectly on my 40 Merc. I had to have the tail pipe adjusted at a muffler shop to prevent a rattle. I did this because the muffler shop charged less than the return shipping.

I prefer to deal with someone that specializes in exhaust parts rather than someone that just retails the product from a vendor.

If you are going to put your car on the Concourse for judging, buy the muffler from a V-8 parts supplier like Dennis Carpenter.

Tom

parrish    -- 09-21-2010 @ 9:07 AM
  Call Jim at Red's Headers. He makes a quality product, but normally for dual exhaust. However, he can give advice on sources.

parrish    -- 09-21-2010 @ 9:07 AM
  Call Jim at Red's Headers. He makes a quality product, but normally for dual exhaust. However, he can give advice on sources.

supereal    -- 09-21-2010 @ 10:53 AM
  If you have a really good muffler shop in your area that can make up pipes, stainless or otherwise, that is the way to go. "Out of the box" sets almost always require fitting, and if you can get the job done without twisting off at least one bolt at the manifold, your luck is better than mine.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-21-2010 @ 11:07 AM
  START looking for a custom exhaust shop,
this is because you might get the front done, the problem I had was the tailpipes,
are you installing duals ?
or single exhaust,
if duals go for the headers, you will not need a crossover pipe, but will need a bender esp on the left side. where the battery is, will have to go around,
lets hear how you made out,
37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!!

35Phaeton    -- 09-22-2010 @ 4:16 PM
  Thank you all.......this was a very good exchange of info.

I am going with a single exhaust. After doing a google search on Kepich and reading all the bad experiances with him, I dont think I am up to the hassle.

I never crossed my mind to go to a muffer shop for a 1935 vehicle.....but as luck would have it, I walked into the local "mufferman" and was supprised to learn and see that they do custom systems even in stainless.

Thanks again for your replys, Jim

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-22-2010 @ 4:30 PM
  If you go stainless, make sure you have clearances , because it will expand and may make noise like rattles and thats the last thing a FORD needs is another rattle,
on CORVETTES, this has been a problem with them but they are fitted real tight underneath,some of the parts venders will not handle or sell them,BECAUSE OF THIS.
So Be Careful
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1896