Topic: 1939 tube shocks

parrish    -- 10-25-2009 @ 6:22 AM
  Anyone have a good rear tube shock solution to replace the Haudaille levers? My car has a front conversion setup from late 50s which is a bolt-on, but the rear has a bolt-on flange only on the driver side...passenger side is missing the bolt-on. The driver side bolt-on flange is way north of the rear axle, so I'm not sure how effective it was at that kind of an angle. The car had no shocks on it when I bought it, but I do have an old set of Haudailles which would need rebuilding.

trjford8    -- 10-25-2009 @ 9:05 AM
  Check with C and G Parts.I believe they have a bolt-on rear kit for your car. You can also use the kit that was used on the rear of the 1948 Fords. They show up on e-bay periodically, but can get pricey.

supereal    -- 10-25-2009 @ 9:15 AM
  As Tom says, C&G has tube shock kits for cars '36 to '48. See them on page 53 of their catalog on www.cgfordparts.com. The angle of the shocks usually isn't critical, and can actually help control the sway common in the "buggy spring" Fords. Probably the most difficult part of installing one of these kits is the replacement of the perch bolts included with the kits. Almost always, the front axle has to come out so the bolts can be pressed out, often requiring some heat, unless your luck is better than mine. It is a good time to rebush the springs and replace the shackles. Expect to pay about $500 for the whole set up.

parrish    -- 10-25-2009 @ 10:04 AM
  thanks...I'll check with them. As an aside, they were actually the only place that had the ignition switch box (just the case that contains the ignition switch brush and body), so they must be a good resource. Always a mystery why basic parts (like the ignition switch box) would be removed...

supereal    -- 10-26-2009 @ 9:10 AM
  We use C&G because, even though they are not close by, they seem to have most parts in stock, eliminating the usual backorder problems, or are honest if they can't ship the item immediately. They also have personnel that actually know their stock, a big boost for the non-pros who are not sure of what they need for a job.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=189