Topic: 1935 ford rear end replacement

BYmechanic    -- 09-18-2010 @ 11:39 AM
  I am going to replace my original brakes to hydraulic brakes. I have decided to go with 1940 ford. I have the oportuning to buy the whole rear end including brakes, gears, and drive shaft from a 1940 ford car which is not near where I live so I cannot take desired mesurements. Would this be a bolt on replacement? If not what problems or work arounds would I be looking at. The 1940 gears are 3.78 vs my 4.11.

ford38v8    -- 09-18-2010 @ 1:39 PM
  You can't use the axle housings, but the axles, differential, backing plates and brakes would make the purchase worthwhile if the price is right. From this, you'll need to have a 6 spline pinion/driveshaft adapter welded and balanced, and you're good to go with the 3.78. The axles are interchangeable as a pair along with their matching spider gear. There isn't anything of value left from the 40 set except core value for the axle housings, as they likely would need to be turned for new bearing collars anyway.

Alan

flatheadfan    -- 09-18-2010 @ 4:01 PM
  BYmechanic-

I think I understand what you are attempting to do, if so, I think I can help. I have done something similar several times in the past. I currently have a '35 with a complete '39 axle assembly under it.

If you are going to be using everything behind the transmission this swap will be easy. Just roll out the '35 torque tube/axle assembly and roll the '40 hardware under the '35 and bolt things down. Everything fits as an assembly without any "creative" engineering and that includes spring, torque tube assembly and even the speedo gear which will attach to your existing cable. Your present '35 rear brake drums will fit and operate on the '40 brake assembly. No need for wheel adapters.

No problem with the axle width. The only major problem someone could have is hooking the '35 mechanical brake hardware up but since you are going to hydraulic brakes this won't be a problem. Again, you must use the entire '40 as a unit don't try to swap internal parts around between the two assemblies. Go for it!

Tom

ford38v8    -- 09-18-2010 @ 10:45 PM
  Tom, as you have done the swap, I'll have to bow to your experience, but as I remembered it, the spring perches were different. ??

Alan

trjford8    -- 09-19-2010 @ 8:28 AM
  The spring perches on the 35 are attached to the wishbone. The perches on the 40 are cast onto the axle housing. Yes they are different, but it has no effect on changing the rear ends.The 40 unit will fit as is into the 35 without taking anything apart.With the correct hardware you can use the mechanical linkage on the center crossmember of the 35 to operate the E-brake and the master cylinder. Richard Lacy of the Early V-8 garage in Azusa, Ca. makes the changeover parts or you can design your own.
I think he also makes the spacers so you can use the 35 wire wheels on the 40 drums.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 9-19-10 @ 8:30 AM

flatheadfan    -- 09-19-2010 @ 10:44 AM
  Alan-

The actual rear perch is located in the same place but the attachment is different. On '35 and early '36 the perch is part of the radius rod whereas with late '36 through '40 the perch is part of the axle housing casting. This relocation doesn't effect the shock hook-up (note picture). In the picture you can see that I am using Lovejoy shocks but I did at one time use the original Ford shocks. At any rate, I think you get the idea.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 09-19-2010 @ 10:44 AM
  Second view-

BYmechanic    -- 09-19-2010 @ 12:26 PM
  Thanks for all your imput, and photo's. I am looking forward to do this project this Autumn.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1875