Topic: cut-out for 36 generator/alternator

whalpin    -- 09-17-2010 @ 8:32 AM
  I'm having a generator/alternator built and I need a cut-out - - on top of generator to look authentic.

Anyone no where I can find one?

Bill Halpin
562-244-1116 or whalpin@adbrokerz.com

supereal    -- 09-17-2010 @ 9:44 AM
  Bill: I'd opt for the cutout "regulator" available from C&G (800/266-0470) as item # 110505R-V8. The six volt version is about $80, but is a big improvement over the original, and even has a Ford script on it.

lightflyer1    -- 09-18-2010 @ 11:09 AM
  +1

I am using this exact one myself with excellent results. Talked my buddy into getting one as well.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-18-2010 @ 11:28 AM
  I think I must be missing something. The first two posts tell you where to get a cut out that works the best and I think you want one that doesn't work but looks good. Am I right? Get a picture from the club's restoration guidelines of what you are looking for and start looking at swap meets. Also try stores that sell rebuilt generators and see if their rebuilder has anything. Try an ad in the wanted section here and at fordbarn.com. Include a picture since people with these lying around frequently don't know what they fit. For you info I have a non-functioning cut out mounted on top of the non original 2 brush generator in my '37. The voltage regulator is mounted out of sight.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-18-10 @ 2:08 PM

flatheadfan    -- 09-18-2010 @ 5:01 PM
  I am also somewhat confused about the question. Do you have a generator or an alternator that "looks" like a generator? If you are using a two-brush generator and want to give the appearence of a three-brush you could do what I (and others) have done. Just get an old derelict cut-out, gut it and use a 10g wire connecting the two terminals under the cap. Then drill two holes in the generator case for mounting the faux cut-out. As for the voltage regulator, I have mine hidden by locating it inside the car under my dash ('35 Ford). A quick glance of the engine department and everthing looks "original."

Tom

supereal    -- 09-19-2010 @ 10:33 AM
  I didn't read the initial post correctly, If you want the appearance of a cutout, but are using an alternator that looks like a generator, as said above, just put an old one on top of the alternator. I haven't seen the alternators that look just like a generator, so I hope you will post a shot of it.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-19-2010 @ 10:50 AM
  supereal,

There are several people around the counry that place small foreign alternators inside of the original generator housings, thus the result looks original. The cost is high in my opinion and I prefer a well built generator although it is getting harder all the time to find a well built generator.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-19-10 @ 10:51 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1870