Topic: Oil Filter restrictor

tbloss    -- 09-17-2010 @ 6:51 AM
  I have a 59AB engine that the oil filter has been disabled by placing a rivit in the oil line to block the oil from going into the filter. I would like to use the filter, but need help on making or buying a restrictor. What size hole is in the restrictor and how do I go about making or finding one? Thanks, Tom...

51f1    -- 09-17-2010 @ 7:14 AM
  You can get one off of a junk engine. Contact one of the used parts suppliers in Hemmings.

Richard

kubes40    -- 09-17-2010 @ 7:25 AM
  Hi Tom,
The hole was .055" - .060".

37 Coupe    -- 09-17-2010 @ 7:46 AM
  I bought a NOS Genuine Ford restrictor from Dennis Carpenter several years ago and he may still have some. The restrictor is included in Ford part # O1A 18671 described as Kit (oil filter service) and green parts book shows this for one year only 1940 as the OIA prefix also identifies. The one I have a .059 number drill fits in. What I think occured was this,Fram supplied the oil canister for Ford in 1940,an OIA canister and it required this retro for dropped oil pressure,I have had a NOS O1A canister and outwardly looks like the later ones for 59AB engines but it is not the same as it will not mount correctly on a 59A or 59AB head,one of the upper mounting legs interferes with the extra bosses on the heads added temperature senders. So in other words if you have a canister that was already on a 59AB head you probably do not need a restrictor as this was corrected and restriction hole is internal on the two types of later Fram canisters,the early 46 one and the later 47-48 one that inlet was facing in ward toward carb and return would have been plumbed to oil dip stick boss.I do not know about later 49-53 canisters and have only looked at three I mention. An extra restrictor will not hurt but from what I see is not necessary on correct 59AB canisters.

alanwoodieman    -- 09-17-2010 @ 8:44 AM
  my 8CM engine filter has a restrictor scr*w*d into the side and I looked for other restrictions in the filter and found none. You can take a regular line fitting and braze up the center hole and then redrill to sizez indicated. I beleive silver solder would also be ok, but don't think I would use reguler solder. I was talking with a friend of mine and he said he drilled a BB and placed it in the line

kubes40    -- 09-17-2010 @ 9:44 AM
  You will have a drop in oil pressure if there is not a restricter in place somewhere in the oil line to the filter.
Alan suggested soldering up a fitting and drilling to the proper diameter. that does in fact work well. I've done the same thing on clients vehicles.
Factory spec was .055 - .060".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1869