Topic: 46 Ford gas tank leak

Fat40    -- 09-16-2010 @ 5:49 AM
  I have a new gas Drake gas tank and where the line goes into the tank it leaks, I have the right nut and ferule from C&G ,I bought the tank from C&G also . Is there something to help seal this line? I have tried Teflon tape.

THANKS----SID

TomO    -- 09-16-2010 @ 8:28 AM
  Do not use Teflon tape as it will clog your carburetor.

The ferrule should be about 1/8" - 1/4" from the end of the line and should provide a good seal when tight. I use a line wrench to tighten these fitting as they will round off easily with an open end wrench.

If your fitting is tight, not cross threaded and you still have a leak, contact C&G for their advice.

Tom

deluxe40    -- 09-16-2010 @ 9:21 AM
  I had the same problem with a new tank, a new line and new fittings. I discovered that a long thin metal shaving had gotten crossways between the ferrule and its seating surface. Not sure where it came from as I was VERY careful not to cross thread the new line. You do have to be sure that the end of the line is very straight and that it has a straight shot into the tank.

supereal    -- 09-16-2010 @ 10:42 AM
  Either the tank is defective, or the connection was twisted enough to cause a crack where it meets the tank. Always use two wrenches when tightening a fitting, one to turn the nut, the other to hold the fitting so it doesn't turn on the line or fixture. An undamaged ferrule type fitting needs no sealer, but does have to be turned down tight enough to seat the ferrule in the fitting and on the line.

ford38v8    -- 09-16-2010 @ 11:04 AM
  Sid, You've had excellent advice from all above. I'll emphasize two points: A line wrench is called for to achieve a tight fitting, as an open end wrench distorts the fitting, compromising the seal. This is a metal to metal seal, and should have no sealant of any kind.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1865