Topic: Tie Rod hitting Pitman Arm

Old Henry    -- 09-15-2010 @ 5:25 PM
  I have a 1947 Ford sedan that, every time the car goes down on a big bump, the tie rod hits the end of the drag link and has torn off the rubber grease boot on the ball joint there. I can't see that the tie rod is bent so I'm wondering if the drag link is installed wrong. The ball joints at both ends of the drag link are installed so that they drop into their sockets from the top rather than either being pushed up into their socket from the bottom. I think that if at least the one on the pitman arm was turned over it might solve the problem but all diagrams I find of the drag link show the ends with the bolts pointed down for installation. Does anyone know if either or both of those ends could be inserted up from the bottom rather than down from the top or any other reasons my tie rod is hitting the end of the drag link on the pitman arm on big bumps??? Attached photo shows where tie rod is worn from hitting the end of the drag link and torn off the grease boot on that fitting.

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 9-16-10 @ 3:16 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 09-15-2010 @ 5:48 PM
  a few things come to mind, first the links are tapered to fit and as I can see that the nut is drawn done, I will assume that they are put together correctly, second the pitman arm only goes on the shaft one way, the last is the tie rod-is it bent into an arc or is it straight?

40guy    -- 09-15-2010 @ 6:17 PM
  They are in fact installed wrong. The grease fittings should be facing the ground, castle nut and cotter pin towards the engine.

40guy    -- 09-15-2010 @ 6:39 PM
  I got out my "green book" and looked at the drawing. 42-48 shows the tie rod ends installed as I described above. It shows the drag link installed just the opposite. Sorry for any confusion, I was looking at my '40.

40guy    -- 09-15-2010 @ 6:46 PM
  Therfore, It appears that your car has the tie rod ends installed wrong and the drag link ends installed correctly; If I understand your post right.

trjford8    -- 09-15-2010 @ 7:46 PM
  The tie rod ends go in from the bottom. The drag link end at the spindle also goes in from the bottom. If the pitman arm hits the tie rod perhaps you have the wrong pitman arm on the car.

Old Henry    -- 09-16-2010 @ 3:13 PM
  Well, it looks like I got every possible response.
Actually, it is not quite accurate that the end of the pitman arm is hitting the tie rod, the actual end clears but the end of the drag link and, particularly, the grease boot is what hits. So, I think I'll try reversing that bolt and see if it will go up from the bottom. Then, I think the tie rod won't hit the nut and bolt end. It will probably work unless, as has been suggested, the bolt and hole are tapered to go in only one way. I'll let you know. If anyone has any more suggestions they would be appreciated.

Still Old Henry

deluxe40    -- 09-16-2010 @ 5:56 PM
  I think your drag link is on the Pitman arm correctly. Can't see the other end in your picture. Here is a picture of my '46:

alanwoodieman    -- 09-16-2010 @ 8:23 PM
  look for part number on pitman arm-cast into it between hole for steering box and drag link bolt, make sure it is the correct one for the year

Old Henry    -- 09-25-2010 @ 7:23 PM
  Thank you all for your help.
I did check the part number on the pitman arm and it was correct. I then sighted down the tie rod and it was bent just slightly toward the end of the pitman arm. I bent it straight then twisted the collar on the drag link so that the bolts were out of the way of the tie rod when it can up (I had recently straightened the steering wheel by twisting that and I think the tie rod was actually hitting those bolts as much as the end of the pitman arm.) Now all is well. I think the tie rod may just barely clear the end of the pitman arm/drag link but at least it clears.
Thanks again for all your help.

P.S. The bolt on the end of the drag link and the hole in the pitman arm are tapered so they can only go together one way - inserting the bolt from the top.

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 9-25-10 @ 7:25 PM

trjford8    -- 09-26-2010 @ 7:51 AM
  Old Henry, one of the things that you encounter with tie rod/drag link ends is a varience in their diameter. I have found that some of the replacement ends are larger in diameter than the original Ford part.Some even taper outward which would put the end of the one in the pitman arm closer to the tie rod.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1861