Topic: Adjusting voltage regulator

47Jack    -- 09-15-2010 @ 5:55 AM
  Hi everybody,

I'm putting my 47 Ford flatbed on the road today but I have a minor concern. I've changed to a different generator and the new one is putting 8.9 volts into the battery so I believe I need to adjust the voltage regulator. I believe it should be 7.3 volts.

I don't know how to adjust the regulator. There are three relays in there with two of them having what appears to be an adjusting screw. The adjusters are on the "Fld" and "Arm" relays. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-15-2010 @ 6:07 AM
  Ajusting the regulater is for a professional mechanic,
I would have replaced both, the gen and reg,
if you have to adjust the regulater,
use a REPAIR MANUAL,for this, you will learn, and do it right,and might need some special tools and a good voltage meter,
remember the regulater could be bad also,
what was it doing with the old generator,?
why did you change it?
seems like there is a problem in the fields,causing it to overcharge,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

TomO    -- 09-15-2010 @ 7:14 AM
  The voltage regulator should be adjusted with an accurate meter when the voltage regulator is at operating temperature. If you are using a digital meter to check the voltage, you could be getting a false reading due to transient spikes developed in the generator or the ignition system.

I use a Westin generator / regulator tester with a 10 volt scale and a mirror behind the needle. It also allows me to adjust the cut in voltage and the current output. I would not use another setup to make the adjustment, because I don't want to pay for a new battery, generator and paint job.

Take the regulator to a generator repair service and have them adjust it.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-15-2010 @ 7:24 AM
  It isn't possible adjust a voltage regulator by trial and error. The relay contacts actually "buzz" as the unit controls the voltage and current, and any small changes in the settings will interact to produce a new set of problems. Years ago, some aftermarket regulators were sold that had an external control. Their main effect was often to cause batteries to explode when turned up. To directly read the generator output, you need a meter that can accurately gauge the pulsing output, or "RMS" value. The best, and safest way to determine if the regulator is at fault is to substitute a known good one. Apparent overcharging can often be caused by a failing battery with a shorted or high resistance cell, failure to provide the regulator with a good ground, or other charging circuit fault.

47Jack    -- 09-15-2010 @ 7:35 AM
  Thank you all for the feedback. The voltage regulator is from Dennis Carpenter. It's new and the previous owner put it on.

I changed the generator because I learned I had a 39 engine with the fan mounted on the generator. Nowhere near the radiator. So I changed the generator with a remanufactered one that would accomodate a fan and hub assembly. I now have the fan in the center of the radiator where it belongs. I had to add the double crank pulley and changed the distributor as the old style was too wide for a fan belt.

I will take the regulator to a generator shop and thanks very much for the advice.

Jack

TomO    -- 09-15-2010 @ 10:19 AM
  If it is a new regulator, it should be adjusted correctly at the factory. If it is that far out of adjustment, I would return it and ask for a replacement.

Tom

51f1    -- 09-15-2010 @ 12:11 PM
  I agree w/TomO, if it is a new regulator it should work right out of the box. My newest Made In USA regulator was perfectly adjusted at the factory. If you can get your hands on another, substitute it and see what happens.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1858