Topic: Engine Crack

choupie    -- 09-14-2010 @ 4:09 PM
  The machine shop has completed giving a model 59 V-8 engine from a 1947 Ford truck the once over, and has figured cylinder/crank/head machining work and valve seat replacement would run $1050 (doesn't include cost of new bearings/pistons/gaskets/etc. They also identified a crack from the #3 cylinder to the intake valve seat, which apparently was addressed once upon a time by putting a sleeve in the #3 cylinder (the only one with a sleeve). The machine shop expects they will be successful in tapping and pinning the crack. (There are also two other cracks between the coolant channel and head studs which the machine shop wasn't concerned about.) Do any of you have experience with attempting to repair such cracks and were the efforts successful? I'm trying to determine if the investment to fix the engine is worth the risk.
Thanks for any input.
Paul

alanwoodieman    -- 09-14-2010 @ 5:39 PM
  the machine shop is correct and sounds like they know their business. Drilling, tapping and pinning cracks are the way to do and work very good. I have seen and have rebuilt engines with sleeves so that is no problem. Cracks between studs and water passages are almost always present and should not cause any harm. If you are really concerned about them, they also can be drilled, tapped and pinned. All said I beleive the shop sounds like they have built flatheads before!!

supereal    -- 09-15-2010 @ 7:44 AM
  At our machine shop, we can, and do, repair block cracks if possible. Cracks in the valve seat area can sometimes be fixed with a new seat. However, any crack that extends into, and down, a cylinder wall usually indicates that the block has been frozen at one time or another, and other faults may be present. We found one such problem last year when an improperly installed sleeve gave way and allowed coolant into the oil, destroying the bearings. I know that good blocks are scarce, and pricey, but we wouldn't warranty a repair of that type. I've attached a photo of one of our repairs.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-15-10 @ 9:53 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-17-2010 @ 1:07 PM
  the V8 FORD SHOP in BALLSTON SPA, has rebuilts already to go if this helps,if you do not want to fool around with a cracked block,they advertise in the V8 TIMES,
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,!!!!!!!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1855