Topic: Station wagon sliding window channels

42wagon    -- 09-14-2010 @ 2:02 PM
  I am trying to install the double channels for the rear quarter sliding windows. The replacement channels appear to be much thicker and are creating a problem with both the vertical height and the ability to allow the glass to slide particularly at the window handles that are wider than the glass itself. They do fit in the grooves in the quarter panels so the outside width is okay. Surely someone else has encountered this problem. How did you solve it?

Ted

Stroker    -- 09-14-2010 @ 3:13 PM
  42:

I'm curious as to where you sourced your channels. I got mine for my 38 from Ed Clarke in New York back in the mid 70's, and they fit perfectly. Is it possible someone sent you the wrong year? Mine had the open slot for the latch bail, but were not "notched" in the area of the handles, as the originals were,(or may have "become" through use). I could have "relieved" this area with a Dremel tool, but since normally I wouldn't slide the windows to their extreme open position, (thereby pushing the center web of the channel towards the latch),I never did that.

I'm thinking about re-joining the National Woodie Club just to get a "handle" (pun intended), on current supplies, as I've found that most EV8 suppliers understandably have very limited offerings for our low production station wagons.

Perhaps Alan "Woodieman" will weigh-in on this, as he literally built a 40 from scratch.

42wagon    -- 09-14-2010 @ 4:07 PM
  Stroker
I got the double channel from C&G auto parts. There is only one variety available and in eight foot lengths to be cut by you. Initially I tried Ed Clarke but he no longer stocks window channel material. It sounds like what you got was precut with the holes and all. Alas no more.
Ted

alanwoodieman    -- 09-14-2010 @ 4:15 PM
  I also got my first set of channels from Ed Clark and they fit fine, also some have had some from Restoration Supply in Pa. In 1940 there were two thicknesses of glass-yes two different thicknesses. I have several pieces of original glass from various 40 wagons and they vary. You did not say if you replaced the glass with modern glass which can be thicker than the original leading the glass to be hard to move in the channel. I know I had this problem with another 40 wagon that I helped out on.We eventually releived the wood to allow the channel not to be crushed.

42wagon    -- 09-14-2010 @ 4:53 PM
  Alan
The glass I am using is all original with late 41 date stamps on it. It measures .200 thick. I just looked at Restoration Supply. The double channel I got from C&G appears to be the same as is available from Restoration Supply. The channel slips easily into the groove in the wood.

As I said in my original post, I have two problems. The first is that the channel base appears to be thicker than the orginal making for a force fit in the frame which in turn makes the glass hard to slide. I believe this can be cured by shaving some of the rubber off the outside of the channel. The second problem is not so easy. The window pulls are a "U" shape that slips over the glass. That makes them considerably wider than the 1/4" slot in the channel and seems to make it impossible to make them fit.

Got any suggestions?
Ted

deuce_roadster    -- 09-14-2010 @ 8:20 PM
  I have a 40 deluxe wagon and for 1940 the standards had thinner glass. Don'd know about other years but for sure in 40 the deluxe had thicker glass. You might try somehow forcing the channel wider where the handle fits only.

alanwoodieman    -- 09-15-2010 @ 12:58 PM
  Ted,it has been 20 years so I had to think about it. To gain some room for the latches, I made a oak block of wood the same size as the window pulls then put the block into the track where the pull would go and hammered the sides of the track to flatten them thus gaining a little clearance for the pulls. They are still tight but work ok. I opened up the wood frame to give some more room for the windows to slide. Alan

42wagon    -- 09-15-2010 @ 3:44 PM
  Alan and all others who replied, thanks for your tips. Now I know I'm not the only one with the problem and have some ideas of how to attack it.
Ted

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1854