Topic: 36 Ford lower radiator hoses

norge46    -- 09-13-2010 @ 5:23 PM
  I am having a problem figuring out why the straight lower radiator hoses specified for my car do not fit. It seems to me these flat head engines used straight hoses with no problem. The engine mount connections are at least 2 inches higher than the radiator outlets. (water pumps are located on cylinder heads) The radiator outlets are angled slightly upwards. However, the hoses are kinked badly when installed. It seems to need a curved hose to make the connection. The engine has the correct new motor mounts installed and is sitting in the chassis correctly. The radiator is installed correctly. When I removed the old hoses, they were badly kinked also. What is going on here? Is there a curved hose available? Any help would be appreciated.

nelsb01    -- 09-13-2010 @ 5:52 PM
  Is your radiator mounted on the springs? The bottom of the radiator should be mounted with bolts that go through springs that are about 2 1/2 inches high. This could be your solution.

drkbp    -- 09-13-2010 @ 6:37 PM
  I have a '35 but the lower motor mounts should be the same. I just looked at mine and the lower hoses are level and a straight shot to the radiator. The lower radiator outlets are slightly up. Also, the radiator "stands up" off the frame and has the spring on top of the feet as nelsb01 says. The engine front motor mount is sitting on a donut that is 1-1/2" thick, not on the frame. Do you have the donut in there?

Nothing should have to "kink" and the hoses will be straight.

Hope this helps,
Ken in Texas

norge46    -- 09-13-2010 @ 9:00 PM
  Thanks for the quick response. Won't have a chance to look at the car for a couple of days since I am out of town. However, radiator is sitting on frame. I will have to check in to this further.

flatheadfan    -- 09-14-2010 @ 12:42 AM
  norge46-

If I understand your problem correctly, I "think" I may have an answer to your predicament. Many people think that '35 and '36 lower mounts are the same, they are NOT. The '35 mounts have straight outlets whereas the '36 outlets slant downward to match the the lower '36 radiator outlets which slant upward (the '36 radiator is slightly longer than the '35). You may have '35 mounts on your '36 which would explain the kinking effect of the radiator hose.

Hope this helps.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 09-14-2010 @ 5:45 AM
  I agree with flatheadfan. there should be a part number indented in the water outlet motor mounts, for 1936 it begins with 68- for 35 it is 48- there is a big difference in the height of the different mounts, but the 35 mount would make the outlets lower not higher, 36 is higher, you may also want to check out the radiator early 35 had a large tank on top early in the year much like the 36 large tank.

bobs36    -- 09-14-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  flathead is right, when i changed my hoses, this was the case. Also it sounds like you have redone everything, but some times there may have been a small accident that pushed it etc.

norge46    -- 09-14-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  Thanks everyone for your help. I have a lot to look into but hopefully this car will be on the road soon.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1852