Topic: Radial tires

bobgerber    -- 10-24-2009 @ 7:06 AM
  Hi To All Ford people.. I purchased 4 new Radials for my
1950 Ford Crestliner and the company told me to keep 35
lbs of air in them and my hubcaps would not fly off. WRONG. I will lose them in about 30 miles. I was also
told that my wheels are riveted and not all steel, that
is why. Has anyone else had this kind of luck with
radials on the 1950 Ford? Thanks to all. Fred

trjford8    -- 10-24-2009 @ 8:08 AM
  Fred, your problem is not unique. I have seen other posts about this problem. Some people have been using dabs of silicone on the tabs of the caps to make them stay on the wheel. Your wheels are the type with the centers riveted to the rim. This does create some flex of the rim. The newer rims used with radial tires have welded centers and have an extra rib pressed into the circumference of the rim. This strengthens the outer edge and also keeps the tire secure on the rim. In the old days Chrysler used the term "safety bead" for the rib in in the outer rim.
As personal preference I like to use the newer style rims with radial tires. Riveted rims do have the potential for air leaks. Finding a flat tire just when you want to leave on a V-8 tour does not set a good tone for the rest of the day!

flathead4rd    -- 10-24-2009 @ 8:22 AM
  Had the same problem with my 50. Bought some late 80's Bronco II rims and problem solved.

bobgerber    -- 10-26-2009 @ 3:50 PM
  To the people who replied to my radial tire problem. Many
thank s to all. I will look for some 80 Bronco wheels and
see if that works.. Thanks again Fred

flathead4rd    -- 10-26-2009 @ 4:08 PM
  If I remember right mine were off of an 87 Bronco II.

47Monarch    -- 07-08-2019 @ 6:00 PM
  Here is a tip for you clean the inside of you hubcaps and write your and phone number just might get a lost cap back good luck

BUCKAWHO    -- 07-08-2019 @ 8:04 PM
  HI...Five new wheels from Coker Tire should solve your problem. That's what I have on my '51 Coupe. Paint the inside black, and the outside car color. BT

wmsteed    -- 07-09-2019 @ 9:02 AM
  Ran radial tires on my '57 T-Bird for over twenty years, stock full wheel caps, never had a hub cap come off.
I would guess that the '57 wheels were welded in lieu of being riveted.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

56MarkII    -- 07-13-2019 @ 8:25 PM
  Also having a 56 Continental Mark II I have read numerous threads and posts on this topic on the Mark II forum as well. The older rims are strong enough but flex more than modern and the radial tire has more flex than the bios ply. The flexing causes the wheel covers to creep until it rides up on the valve stem and flies off and my wheel covers are EXPENSIVE! It came down to purchasing replacement rims and keeping an eye on the offset, width etc was required. I have Firestone Deluxe Champion 8.20x15 on my car because this is what my car was ordered with according to my dealers invoice and BESIDES it handles unbelievable as well!! It handles so well it makes me realize that:
Their front end/front suspension is worn out?
Their front suspension isn't. Aligned or set up properly?
Or they are running too little or too low air pressure!!
You would be amazed at how many think they should be running 24-26 PSI in the Bios ply on a car that weighs in at 5400 pounds if equipped with AC. I run 32-34 in my Firestone Delux champions on my 50 Mercury and 56 Continental and get long life out of them.
New rims, drilling holes and using sheet metal screws, silicone?? As they say in Yiddish "Oy Veh" I couldn't be bothered to watch my covers pass me in the ditch.

Don T    -- 11-18-2019 @ 6:07 PM
  Hello; my first post here. I really hope this discussion relates to full caps not dog dish originals!

trjford8    -- 11-19-2019 @ 6:41 AM
  It does relate to full hub caps.

wmsteed    -- 11-21-2019 @ 10:15 AM
  Generally speaking the hub cap problem is as a rule limited to the full wheel type of cover, not the "dog dish" type.
In the twenty-five plus years that I had my '57 Bird, I had radial tires on the car with stock Ford full wheel covers. never had a hub cap come off. We drove the car on many long trips at speeds over 65.
I did experience problems with the caps walking around the wheel, cutting into the valve stem, had to keep an eye on the caps.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=185