Topic: Cowl Vent Gasket Installation

Steves46    -- 09-12-2010 @ 5:19 PM
  I need to replace the cowl vent gasket in my 46 coupe and it looks like the right way to do this is to remove the cowl vent assy. It appears to be a pretty straight forward procedure but just in case it's tougher than it appears, is there anything or any tips anyone can offer? Thanks!

40guy    -- 09-12-2010 @ 6:13 PM
  I don't think the assembly needs to be removed. Just open the cowl vent as far as it will go, fish out the old gasket and work in the new one. The rounded side of the gasket faces up and that will probably be indicated on the gasket.

ford38v8    -- 09-12-2010 @ 9:11 PM
  When I installed mine, I used no adhesive whatsoever, and just a small amount of silicone on the top surface. I use my vent often, and the gasket has never lifted up from the cowl.

Alan

42wagon    -- 09-13-2010 @ 3:18 AM
  The tips you have been given are the way to go. I had the vent already out of my cowl so there was no decision to remove or not remove. It probably could be done either way. However to take the vent out or put it back with the dashboard in place requires a very small left handed guy.

40guy's tip about the rounded side up probably applies to a 40 car. There are several variations on this gasket. The one for 46 has a small water dam molded in the top surface.

Steves46    -- 09-13-2010 @ 7:27 AM
  Thanks to all. I purchased the new version by Bob Drake that has a lip. They claim it will keep the water out.

TomO    -- 09-14-2010 @ 8:57 AM
  When you replace the vent, leave the mounting screws for the cover loose enough to allow movement, then move the handle to the position just before locking the vent. Have someone press down on the cover with enough pressure to seat the cover on the gasket, then tighten the bolts. Now when the handle is moved to the locked position, it will compress the gasket giving you a good seal.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1846