Topic: License Plates

Sporty40    -- 09-12-2010 @ 3:21 PM
  Howdy,
I just found a 1940 Iowa license plate for my coupe. It looks pretty good for a 70 year-old, but could use a little sprucing up. What is the recommended procedure for making it look better? Should I leave it in its present condition? Your comments would be much appreciated.
Sporty

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-12-2010 @ 4:27 PM
  Can you post a picture?
you can use Turtle wax swirl remover, this is a very mild cleaner.
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN
You need any reflectors for attaching the plates ?

1934 Ford    -- 09-12-2010 @ 5:00 PM
  Sporty40,
Many states allow the Year of Manufacture (YOM) use of original license plates. Check Iowa rules before you start restoring it. A good original plate with some patina always looks good on an antique car.
In Florida we have to send them to the State DMV for certification, then register it as the tag for that car. (Only unrestored tags are certified)
In NC you can put the YOM tag on your car and carry the new state issued tag under the seat.
Every state is different.
Next do a search on this web site for licensce plate restoration discussions to learn how to restore it if you decide to.
The YOM tag lets everybody know where you are from and what year the car is. (A good tip to share with car show spectators)
Welcome to thr Early Ford V8 Club site. You'll meet the nicest helpful folks her who will share what they know and encourgage your 40 Ford enjoyment.

TonyM    -- 09-12-2010 @ 11:42 PM
  Try this link:

http://www.restoreatag.com/index.html

Never used them, but came across this site.
TonyM

TonyM.
Calumet City, Illinois, USA
2001 Ford F-150 V-8 XLT 4x4
1953 Ford Flathead V-8
????

This message was edited by TonyM on 9-12-10 @ 11:44 PM

42wagon    -- 09-13-2010 @ 3:26 AM
  In Connecticut you may use YOM plates however you must fill out a DMV form allowing you to display them rather than the plates the car is registered with. You must keep your plates that the car is actually registered with in the car for inspection by any Police officer that stops you as they are still what the car registration is. DMV is supposed to inspect your YOM plates but didn't ask to see mine.

Before restoring the plates you should check to see what your state requirements are. Some states will only allow unrestored plates to be displayed.

Sporty40    -- 09-13-2010 @ 10:13 AM
  Thanks to 37RAGTOPMAN, 1934 Ford, TonyM, & 42wagon for your comments. I'm not adept with a camera & posting on-line but will work on this in the future. I already have some reflectors which are not installed, but thanks for the info. What a great site!
Sporty

supereal    -- 09-13-2010 @ 10:50 AM
  I restored my 1947 Iowa Y-O-M plates a couple of years ago. They have black letters on a white background. Even though the plates were in "sort of" good shape, I elected to strip them, ding out the dents, and repaint. I tried several approaches to doing the numbers, such as a roller and pad, then opted for an artist's brush. After a couple of false starts, they came out probably better than new. If you plan to use them in Iowa, I can send you the law section that allows you to do so here in the state.

Sporty40    -- 09-14-2010 @ 7:22 AM
  Since I only found one plate, I'll probably try to restore it myself using your method. We need two plates in Iowa, so I'll most likely install it on the front for car shows only when the car is idle. Once again, I appreciate your help.
Sporty

1934 Ford    -- 09-14-2010 @ 9:18 AM
  Sporty40
The method I use eliminated the need to have a steady hand to brush the letters. It also eliminates the brush strokes.
#1 Spray the entire plate the color of the letters.
#2 Spray the dried tag with background color.
#3 While it's wet in #2, take an rag with thinnner and
with your finger inside the rag, wipe the
background color off the letters and numbers.
End result is a nice even sprayed paint job with sharp edges on all letters and numbers. You will like it and enjoy the satifaction of professional looking restoration that you did yourself.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1845