Topic: Battery cables

flatheadfan    -- 10-24-2009 @ 3:26 AM

I know there is a popular practice of using welding cables for battery cables to improve starting but does anyone know what the original gauge size was for the 6 volt negative cable(not the ground strap)?

Thanks

Tom

51f1    -- 10-24-2009 @ 5:09 AM
  Double ought (00). You can get wire and fittings from Rhode Island Wiring.

Richard

flatheadfan    -- 10-24-2009 @ 8:00 AM
  Richard-

Was "00" original? I could be wrong but I thought it was "2".

Tom

39 Ken    -- 10-24-2009 @ 8:34 AM
  I agree with Tom. I used 2/0 welding cable.

37 Coupe    -- 10-24-2009 @ 10:09 AM
  I always thought original was #2 gauge. I bought mine from John Brillman Mt. Jackson Va. Cloth covered black # 2 I think at least he says as original,not ever smaller. Mine never even feel warm even after trying to pump fuel and long cranking. Great product,great guy and catalog. www.brillman.com

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-25-2009 @ 8:31 AM
  HI 37COUPE
if you want to solve the long cranking,most likley you flex line is sucking air in,I had the exact same problem for years,I used to prime the engine with raw gas to get it started, this was a real pain,
What I did was order a new flex line from ANTIQUE PARTS CELLAR ,MASS,
they had the line and what also was real interesting was they had these little tapered copper washers,
[ making it extra sure to get a good seal ] that you put in the fuel pump inlet and the flex hose inlet,and tightened up,
this solved the problem.
you have air coming in letting the fuel go back to the tank, esp after sitting for a few days or weeks,
Now after sitting for months,yes it canks over, but after maybe in 10 turns or less it starts,
I used to crank it over, and like it seemed forever,
as far as the battery cables,if they get hot they are not heavy enough. that engine should start in 3 turns or less when cold ITS A FORD and a 1/2 turn when hot,\keep foot off gas pedal,I just hit the button when hot and it is running,
HOPE THIS HELPS, 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=184