Topic: Restoration..'46 Tudor..Door Alignment Woes

presidentsamito    -- 09-06-2010 @ 9:07 AM
  Friends, thanks for continued help as I put my '46 back together.

The driver's door appears to align on the hinge side, but on the top of the door and the side with the handle it sags a good 1/4 inch and it is too much to just "leave it"

It was like this before I disassembled the car, and I attach photos seeking advice from those on this list on how to correct this.

The photos show the misalignment, clearly.

Thanks in advance...this is dragging me down just can't seem to get beyond it.

photos at
www.immersionstudio.com/46/1.jpg
www.immersionstudio.com/46/2.jpg
www.immersionstudio.com/46/3.jpg

ford38v8    -- 09-06-2010 @ 12:13 PM
  Presidentsamito, your third photo tells the story. Look at the door skin at the hinge, and you'll see that it is crumpled. Look also at the edge alignment, which shows that the hinge is deeper into the door than it should be.

While observing that same bottom hinge, have a friend gently lift and lower the latch side of the door, and you'll see the movement of the door away from the hinge.

The problem is internal to the door, metal stress and/or rust has weakened the door at the hinge. The solution is to remove the upholstery door panel and access that part of the lower door by cutting a window in the inner door, and welding in some new hinge supports, then welding shut the window you cut. Do not weld to the door skin, and use a wet rag on the skin to avoid heat warp and paint blisters. Be sure to block up the sagging end of the door before you start welding.

Alan

presidentsamito    -- 09-06-2010 @ 1:05 PM
  Alan, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. I owe you one.

Here are three more shots, taken from the inside too.

www.immersionstudio.com/46/4.jpg
Shows the hinge, shot straight on.
www.immersionstudio.com/46/5.jpg
Shows the inside of the door, where the support is seen
www.immersionstudio.com/46/6.jpg
Shows the bottom inside hinge, which looks like it has been welded since factory issue...looking at this, can it be possible that it is welded poorly or misaligned? The welds look good, and there is very little flex when I left up the handle side of the door...could be just it was re-welded with poor alignment.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Send me your address PM for a token of appreciation

ford38v8    -- 09-06-2010 @ 7:18 PM
  Presidentsamito, Thank you for the offer, but really not expected nor nessesary for any of us here on the forum. We offer advice and assistance as it was offered us when we were new here. As i told another guy earlier today, until you see it done once, most anything can be a challenge for anyone.

In reply to your PM, you may want to leave the door attached while you work on it, as you have a perfect jig for the hinge while still installed. Use a screw jack to raise the latch side to the correct height while you work on it. This height, of course, would change when you climb in the car if you don't also block up the frame. To align it correctly, gage the distance at top and bottom of the A pillar. The B pillar alignment is secondary to the A pillar. A wire welder is best, to spot at different points to allow time for cooling between welds.

Alan

presidentsamito    -- 09-07-2010 @ 3:41 AM
  Hi Alan, thanks. Did it look in photos 4,5,6 that it had been welded post factory?

ford38v8    -- 09-07-2010 @ 7:08 PM
  Hard to tell from the pictures, bu t I don't think so. Welds were done to prevent the bolts from wallowing out the holes.

Alan

presidentsamito    -- 09-08-2010 @ 3:16 AM
  Thanks. So with time, the metal just sags and the door angles down...or along with the sag do the welds break? The metal looks welded are there welds I am not seeing or does the metal just stress and pull after time?
Obviously I am going to have to remove the door, drill out those welds on the hinge and re-align and re-weld. I'd just love to know what is happening that causes this. With metal wear, that is easy to understand...this is bending or some other mystery I guess. Alan, thanks for your help...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1815