Topic: 34 steering sector

Leonard    -- 09-05-2010 @ 2:43 PM
  My 34 steering wheel has about 5 inches of play and the problem seems to be in the steering sector. The adjustment screw is "foreign". If I need to have the unit refurbished can you suggest a repair facility? May I have your comments? Thank you.

Keystone 34 3w    -- 09-05-2010 @ 8:34 PM
  Just a note. Try checking for play when the wheel is turned one complete turn once on the left and once on the right. Now if there is almost no play on those positions, that means that the sector shaft is worn and should be replaced , adjusting will only make the turns bind. If the play is the same (5inch) on the turns then you may get by with new bushings and proper set-up. Good info is available from Ford service bulletins for adjusting.

40 Coupe    -- 09-06-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  there are several adjustments that can be made, I too suggest you look for the Ford service bulletin. It may be best to rebuild your box. This is something one can do without special tools.

supereal    -- 09-06-2010 @ 8:23 AM
  Considerable wear in old Ford steering gears is not unusual. Mostly, this is due to the placing of the box next to the exhaust manifold, which baked the lube into a solid form. Some were given a fill of chassis lube to reduce leakage, which caused wear as the grease was worn away from the worm and sector. As replacement parts for the steering gear are expensive, and the work requires some experience, you may wish to opt for a rebuilt unit, or at least check the cost. C&G used to offer rebuilding, but I'm not sure they still do. You can find out at 800/266-0470.

Leonard    -- 09-06-2010 @ 8:53 AM
  Oops, typo mistake should have read frozen instead of foreign.

Henryat1140    -- 09-06-2010 @ 5:53 PM
  Charlie Schwendler in New York State is very capable, and reasonable. He just did a 37 steering gear overhaul for me under $160.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1812