Topic: front tube conversion lessons

parrish    -- 09-04-2010 @ 9:29 PM
  I used Pete and Jakes shock studs as they are of high quality and sold by Drake as well. I heeded WMSteed's advice that the shock studs would hit the frame, so I first measured for clearance and cut roughly 6 threads off with a recipricating saw. Before I did that, I threaded a die all the way on so I could rethread my cut as I removed the die. I also used a very low profile self locking nylon nut to shorten the clearance needed. Most short ride length shocks apparently use 7/16 bushing grommet on the top and 5/8 bushing grommet on the bottom. As my common 1960 era top shock mounts are 5/8, I had Pete and Jakes send a pair of 5/8 grommets that I installed in the top of the shocks. I had to ream the old production 7/16 grommet out and it was painful as they are vulcanized to the shock. All in all, I barely made the frame clearance, but they work! The photo is at an odd angle and elongated, but the shocks sit at a 30 degrees forward slant...

parrish    -- 09-04-2010 @ 9:33 PM
  before photo of driver side

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-05-2010 @ 7:41 AM
  I think I am wrong, but it looks like maybe the top brackets that attach to the frame might be on the wrong side. making the shock, slant forward at a very sharp angle,left on right and right on left side ?
37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP ON FORDIN,,,!!!!!!!

parrish    -- 09-05-2010 @ 7:55 AM
  dunno. I simply used what was there from 1960 assuming somebody back then knew more than I do now...usually a safe bet. Let me know what you think. However I have seen many of the identical front mounts from that era slanting forward as these do...

parrish    -- 09-05-2010 @ 7:57 AM
  dunno. I simply used what was there from 1960 assuming somebody back then knew more than I do now...usually a safe bet. Let me know what you think. However I have seen many of the identical front mounts from that era slanting forward as these do...

wmsteed    -- 09-05-2010 @ 10:57 AM
  Ragtops observation of the frame mount position is correct... the mounts need to be reversed, left to right. When they are positioned correctly the mount and shock will be at about a 60 degree angle to each other.

See attached photo

As an after thought to my earlier comment... With the shock mounts in the present position, I think they will hit the fender, reversing the frame mount will provide clearance between the mount and the fender.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 9-5-10 @ 3:52 PM

Stroker    -- 09-05-2010 @ 12:02 PM
  I had "tubes" on my 38 in the fifties (I have since returned it to levers), and I concur that they should be switched from side to side in order to obtain the proper travel.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1808