Topic: I couldn't believe it!!

ole_Bill    -- 09-04-2010 @ 6:01 PM
  I was referred to a specific auto machine shop with the words "this is the only guy in town who knows flatheads from top to bottom". After the machine work was done and the engine was being reassembled, I stuck my nose in the shop and found, laying on the bench within reach of the guy who was torquing the head bolts on my engine, a copy of Ron Bishop's book "Rebuilding the Famous Ford Flathead".

I haven't got the engine back yet but all I can do is hope for the best. At least he was using an excellent instruction book.

mvillebob    -- 09-04-2010 @ 6:59 PM
  Bill,
Also, you need to hope the guy can read!
Thank goodness for this Forum where "guys in the know" have answers!
Best,
Bob

kubes40    -- 09-05-2010 @ 5:49 AM
  Perhaps he was simply looking up torque specifications and / or sequence of same.
After all these years and as many as I've rebuilt I still need, on occasion, to refresh my memory. Perhaps your guy did as well.
Better he looks those specs up(again) than trusts a memory that might not be as clear as it once was.

Texas40    -- 09-05-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  Even seasoned mechanics will tell you they refer to the book all the time. My dad did some part time work for a genius electrical mechanic back in the 60's & he told us never trust a guy who always depends on just his memory for any specialized work (like building an engine)Rather than feeling unsure, look at it as a positive cause setup will be as its supposed to be not like he always does it.

supereal    -- 09-05-2010 @ 10:01 AM
  As I passed my mid 70's, I quickly learned that relying on one's memory for important information is a fool's errand. Looking up information and instructions to be sure of what you are doing is the mark of someone who understands that "no one lives long enough to make all the mistakes".

wmsteed    -- 09-05-2010 @ 10:37 AM
  I learned a very valuable lesson at a very young age, that being... "to never let the directions on the can outsmart you".. In other words, look, read, double check, before surging forward.

I would think that the mechanic/machinest that was assembling the engine was very wise to have a reference manual handy to check the torque pattern, etc. in lieu of trusting to his memory.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

4dFordSC    -- 09-05-2010 @ 6:51 PM
  I've always remembered one of my college professors reassuring us that in the real world all the exams are open book.

TomO    -- 09-07-2010 @ 7:45 AM
  Tim Allen in Tool Time, said that "Real men don't need instructions". Look how his projects turned out.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 09-07-2010 @ 6:41 PM
  Tim endorses Skips "More Power" water pumps, doesn't he?

How's he go? HHhooo HHhooo!

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1807