Topic: Removal of Ignition Lock / Steering Lock '46 Tudor

presidentsamito    -- 09-04-2010 @ 3:22 PM
  Hello Friends, I'm restoring a '46 which has a rusted and key broken off in it ignition switch and steering lock...how does one remove the assembly? I'd like to remove it. clean it up, remove the broken key etc.

Thanks

This message was edited by presidentsamito on 9-4-10 @ 3:22 PM

Bill4d1merc    -- 09-04-2010 @ 5:53 PM
  Presidentsamito,
To remove the ignition lock cylinder you will need to remove the retaining pin by drilling it out. Once removed the cylinder should come out if it is not rusted in place.
If you need to remove the housing there is a special screw that had a twist off head that will need to be removed. I have not done this myself but assume you would need to drill it and use a screw extractor.

Bill

presidentsamito    -- 09-05-2010 @ 12:33 PM
  Thanks for your reply. I am not sure I understand- the key is broken off in the cylinder...I'd like to remove the entire mechanism (housing, switch, cylinder) from the steering column and disassemble it all. I cannot see how this assembly is attached to the column, other than a headless bolt under it all. This isn't an easy thing to remove...clearly because of considerations for security....but could I ask for some more detail from the group? I just can't see how this comes off.

jerry.grayson    -- 09-05-2010 @ 1:45 PM
  First you will need to remove the two bolts that hold the column drop to the dash. They are under the dash. You will then have to remove the entire steering gear and column from the car unless it is a convertible because you cannot get the steering tube off with the gear in place on a sedan. Not enough room!! Remove the steering wheel and then the tube. When you get the tube removed from the steering gear, look at the slot on the column drop and you will see that a headless bolt holds the drop to the tube. You will need to get this bolt out. Drill out or whatever your equipment and experience will allow. With the bolt out you can expand the slot with a big screwdriver and slide the column drop off of the tube. The lock cylinder is held in by a pin on the bottom and will need to be drilled out. Be careful not to drill too far in and ruin the cylinder!! You can then replace the cylinder or get the broken key out by what ever method you choose. The Key code will be on the side of the cylinder. Most people tap out the hole where the cylinder pin was removed and replace it with a set screw. This is a lot of work, but you said you wanted to know how to do it!!! Lots of luck.

silverchief    -- 09-05-2010 @ 3:47 PM
  My 46 doesn't have anything like an ignition lock.
Is it supposed to?

Bill4d1merc    -- 09-06-2010 @ 6:35 PM
  Silverchief, yes you should have ignition and steering lock on your vehicle. With the key in the off position your on off switch should be locked in the off position and the steering wheel should not be able to turn. I believe that there may have been problems with this set up and people have disabled those features instead of repairing them.

Bill

40 Coupe    -- 09-07-2010 @ 7:01 AM
  unless your doing a full blown restoration of your car, or the mech is broken, I would suggest you not try to completely disassemble the entire lock mech. that can only be done on a bench. even rusted mech can be made to work properly using penetrating oil spray cleaner and gently force(rubber hammer). The broken key can be extracted(lock position only, lock bolt in) using a very fine coping saw blade that is ground down on one side to make it thin enought to fit in the key slot next to the broken key. insert the saw blade so it's teeth will catch the key when you pull the blade out.with a new key and pleanty of lube the lock mech should be able to be freed up. If you can not get the lock cyl to work you will then have to remove the lock cyl and then try to free up the mech with the cylinder out. do not use a lot of force, and the on/off switch handle will only move when the mech is unlocked. disconnect battery cable before working and remove the ignition switch from the rear of the lock.

silverchief    -- 09-11-2010 @ 9:45 AM
  Thanks Bill

My car is in the shop right now but I will check that when I get it back.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1806