Topic: 1940 Ford front spring shackle bushing

Turks46    -- 09-04-2010 @ 10:17 AM
  Hi,

I've got to replace the worn front spring shackle components on my '40 Ford. I've found shackle kits available, but not the rubber bushings. Any ideas on where I could get these ? Attached are a couple pics of my front spring.

Thanks

tudorbilll    -- 09-04-2010 @ 11:23 AM
  I beleave the new components are better than the old ones. Dont forget you have to spread the spring apart can be quite a job, you have to have the right stuff. Bill

40 Coupe    -- 09-04-2010 @ 11:56 AM
  what you have is an aftermarket replacement. if you want to stay with this set up the "rubber bushing are available from Bob Drake, if you want to go to the original style your in for a lot of work. The original style are very difficult to install without the proper tools. Do be very careful spreading the spring so the shackel nuts and end plates can be removed!!

supereal    -- 09-04-2010 @ 2:31 PM
  There are two types of shackle kits, the original type and a Teflon replacement. I prefer the latter, as it is easier to install, and provides, in my opinion, an even and quieter ride. You can see these kits in the C&G online catalog www.cgfordparts.com Page 49. Your biggest challenge will be removing the old shackle bushings from the spring. We use a chisel called a "muffler cutter" to split them. Others thread a hacksaw blade thru the bushing and saw it into pieces. While a spring spreader or Port-A-Power makes the job easier, you can support the ends of the spring, one at a time, with a floor jack and release the tension on the bars so they can be removed. Put a good jack stand under the frame as a precaution in case the jack slips or loses force.

Turks46    -- 09-06-2010 @ 8:58 AM
  Thanks for the replies. It looks like the newer replacement bushings are the way to go.....probably a job for a local shop considering the spring tension and the difficulty lining up the brackets + springs with the bushing.

ford38v8    -- 09-06-2010 @ 12:29 PM
  Turk, It's one of those jobs that is intimidating for a Newbie, but simple once you see how it is done correctly. This is true for so many jobs that backyard mechanics routinely do with one eye shut. If you belong to a local Regional Group, offer to supply the beer and BBQ for someone to come over and guide you through the job. It's much more fun buying beer and ribs than it is to opening your wallet for a greasemonkey at a shop.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1802