Topic: Skirts

silverchief    -- 09-03-2010 @ 11:28 AM
  I'm considering putting skirts on my 46 coupe.

How tough is it to find some in nice condition, and how are they attached? Are all clamps on the skirts, or would I have to drill and mount some things on the body itself.

Thanks

bobconant    -- 09-04-2010 @ 7:10 PM
  Dear fellow V8er,
Original fender skirts for 41 to 48 are relatively scarce but reproduction skirts are available. Both types clamp on and do not require drilling any holes in the fender. There is a hook type device at the bottom front and rear edges of the skirt which rest in the rolled over section of metal at the ends of the wheel opening. Then a rod raises up to clamp against the top center of the wheel opening. Rotating this rod clamps the skirt in place. I have a set of each type of skirt and they are quite close. My original skirts have a flange on the bottom while the repros just have a straight bottom edge. Both look fine on the car.
Regards,
Bob Conant
Bradenton, FL

ford38v8    -- 09-04-2010 @ 9:52 PM
  Silverchief, As you may at some point wish to have your car point judged at a National Meet, I would add that although the aftermarket skirts look good, they are in fact incorrect, and would draw a deduction on the Concourse. It shouldn't be an issue if you don't have it point judged.

Alan

silverchief    -- 09-05-2010 @ 9:51 AM
  Thanks Bob - that's exactly what I was hoping would be the case.

silverchief    -- 09-05-2010 @ 9:58 AM
  Thanks Alan

My car is only about 95 per cent original so will not be going into competition. In two large shows of various makes with viewers only voting - I won best in my division in one, and runner up to best in show in the other. I'm wondering if the skirts will add to or distract from it's looks.

ford38v8    -- 09-05-2010 @ 10:27 AM
  Chief, As you well know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there is no beholder more influential than the one who pays the bills. If you like it, do it.

For the record, I'm a purist and wouldn't care for the extras on a 1946, in particular, the whitewall tires that were not available in that year, but I don't pay your bills so I don't get a vote.

Alan

1934 Ford    -- 09-05-2010 @ 6:47 PM
  I love the idea of skirts and wide whitewalls. Even though Henry Ford didn't put them on my car himself, I would have done it if bought it new. Not everyone agrees, but it's my choice.
A few personal choices are the American way. Many countries don't allow for personal choice on automobiles or anything else. Be American and go for what you like.
I like salt on tomatoes, butter on corn and ketchup on my burgers. Some accoutrements add to cars too.
Personal satifaction and enjoyment are my trophies .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1799