Topic: 1936 suddenly acts flooded

Keith Smith    -- 09-02-2010 @ 3:38 AM
  I drove my 36 Fordoor (85 hp, restored by my Grandpa about 30 years ago)about 15 miles the 2 weeks ago and it ran fine when I put it away. Now when I try to start it, it acts like it's flooded. It runs fine for a few seconds and then dies unless I really pump the accelerator. I opened the top of the fuel pump and it looked fine, no sediment. I opened the fuel line at the carb and cranked it and it seems to have plenty of pressure. Thinking it was a stuck float, I added Seafoam to the pump, carb and tank and let it set overnight. The next day it fired up and ran great in the garage for about 20 minutes. I tried to start it again last night to drive it, and was back to the same symptoms as before. The gas is fairly fresh, filled it about a month ago at a Sh*ll station in town. Still has 1/2 tank. Any help/idea is appreciated.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-02-2010 @ 4:43 AM
  Keith Smith,
try this, make a jumper wire,
start the car, let it run, when it starts running bad, attach the jumper wire between the 2 terminals on the ign resister.and see if it runs better, if it does,!!! clean the termials for the resister.also maybe it is going bad or the terminals are corroded,
it also could be a failing IGNITION coil. or condensor,
it has to be something when the engine runs for 20 minutes, carb problems usually fuel problems are always there hot or cold,
please let us know how you made out,
and maybe a little more info,
once you get it running better, USE IT MORE, idle cars seem to have more problems then if you used them more.
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!

BrianCT    -- 09-02-2010 @ 5:54 AM
  Will it start if you remove the air filter and prime the carb? Be careful only a small 1/2 teaspoon or so.

supereal    -- 09-02-2010 @ 11:06 AM
  If you have to pump the accelerator to keep it going, the problem isn't flooding, but lack of fuel reaching the carb. The main symptom of flooding is the odor of gasoline. I had a similar problem with my '47, even with an electric booster pump. After replacing the mechanical pump, the flex line, and the inline filter, the problem was narrowed down to the fuel line from the tank to the firewall, which was my last suspect. Rust and dirt had partially clogged the line, and even though it tested OK for pressure, the amount of fuel delivery was insufficient. Today's oxygenated gas hastens internal rust of the line and gradually chokes it down. Now, no more hard starting or bucking under a hard pull that demand more fuel.

Keith Smith    -- 09-02-2010 @ 6:45 PM
  It's not that it doesn't start after running for 20 minutes. It was running for 20 minutes the day before, sat overnight, and then would start the next day without even pumping the accelerator. At that point it would only run for less than a minute and act like it was going to die unless I ran it at high rpm's by holding the accelerator most of the way down and then it would die and not restart. It did smell slightly of gas then too. I'm relatively new at this. What other information can I give you? I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Keith Smith    -- 09-07-2010 @ 3:41 AM
  Did a little more investigating this weekend. 1.)It is a Stromberg carb. The car seems to run out of fuel, not flooding the carb. 3.) The fuel pump does appear to be pumping. I got the car to start again, and it dies after running for about 15 seconds (with a lot of coaxing on the throttle). I opened the top of the fuel pump and it was full of fuel. I cracked open the fuel line at the carb and the fuel pumps a lot of fuel there when cranking the engine. 4.) I poured Seafoam in the float bowl (which was empty when I opened the top of the carb) and let it soak for 1/2 hour. The float seemed to be free. 5.) The car fired up and ran out the Seafoam and ran for about 30 seconds, then stalled again. Is it possibly something like a clogged jet? I've never pulled a carb apart to try a rebuild. Thanks for any help.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-07-2010 @ 4:36 AM
  Keith
take the needle and seat out, it unscrews from the outside, this is real easy to do, take the fuel line off and then the brass fitting on the outside of carb is actually the needle and seat,see if there is a lump of dirt blocking the entry of fuel into the bowl.
If there is fuel going though the line up to the carb and no entering the carb, then it has to be the needle and seat,
give it a try, I doubt that you have to rebuild the carb, if you have to, OLD PARTS CELLAR in MASS as ones with modern materials.
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1795