Topic: Improvements to '36 sedan

ole_Bill    -- 09-01-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  I have removed the engine from my '36 Tudor slantback (engine for sale in classified section) and am waiting for the machine shop to return the 59A that I'm installing in the car. Standing around looking at the bare car, I seem to remember a suggestion from someone that replacing the '36 steering box with a newer model will improve driveability. This so? What box do I look for and how difficult is the switch?

trjford8    -- 09-01-2010 @ 8:32 AM
  The upgrade is the 37-40 box. You need to remove the 36 frame bracket and replace it with the 37 bracket. You can find the bracket used( periodically on e-Bay) or Drake makes a new replacement bracket. When you do this make sure to replace the uppper column bushing with a retrofit bearing. Many of the Ford V-8 parts vendors sell the bearing or you can use the one that is made by Dan Brussgard. He sells the bearing on e-Bay. The bearing in the upper column makes a big difference.

tudorbilll    -- 09-01-2010 @ 10:35 AM
  I have just made this switch and it is a big improvment.Also i beleave the bearing for 65 mustang steering works on the old fords. Worked for me

ole_Bill    -- 09-01-2010 @ 1:58 PM
  How hard is it to replace the upper bushing? Does the shaft have to be removed from the column?

I plan on dropping the steering column to pull the dash over the winter to have it wood grained. Is this something that could be done at the same time?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-01-2010 @ 4:17 PM
  You could also try EZ STEER,seems to me they sell new steering boxes, and are guaranteed,
if you were to find a 37 to 41 steering box you still might have to rebuild it,
on the 36 ENGINE, once you sell, it will behard to find another, especially if it was the one that came in your 36, I would oil it up and store it,just incase, for future sale of the 36.
this is my 3 cents, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON FORDIN,,,!!!

parrish    -- 09-01-2010 @ 7:56 PM
  I believe the 36 worm is a different pitch than 37 and the 37 uses a roller pin sector shaft. Joblot has the 37 shaft and worm for $124...

wmsteed    -- 09-02-2010 @ 8:16 AM
  The 37-40 steering gear is a big improvement over the '36 unit. As already stated, you will need a 37-40 frame mount. You will need to use the '36 pitman arm on the later model gear box... The 37-40 pitman arm hangs down at an odd angle compared to the '36 arm.
The '36 column jacket will work with the 37-40 gear box, however, the steering lock collar will have to be relocated.
The later model upper bearing is also a big improvement.
The one problem you will have is the hooking up of an original '36 light switch to the bottom of the steering gear box. Most people that make the conversion, switch the lights to a regular late model pull switch.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-03-2010 @ 6:18 AM
  E-Z STEERING 330-468-3027
SAYS 1928 TO 1956
everything is MADE IN UNITED STATES of AMERICA
E-MAIL hotrodjohn@windstream.net
do not see a web site on their brochures.
but you can e-mail them and request info for you car,
hope this helps.37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP ON FORDIN,,!!!

tudorbilll    -- 09-03-2010 @ 9:54 AM
  The answer to last last question replacing the bushing on upper wheel Its quite easy after the wheel is off.which can be a problem [ 75 yrs old] taper fit.If you have access to the wheel puller,its a snap.get the replacement first.Mustang bearing with an adapter

tudorbilll    -- 09-03-2010 @ 9:57 AM
  The answer to last last question replacing the bushing on upper wheel Its quite easy after the wheel is off.which can be a problem [ 75 yrs old] taper fit.If you have access to the wheel puller,its a snap.get the replacement first.Mustang bearing with an adapter

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1789