Topic: backing plate bolt removal

parrish    -- 08-31-2010 @ 7:45 PM
  I need to install a new rear shock tube conversion mount maybe similar to the 46 Ford (photo attached)...anyway, it requires removing the rear two bolts of my 39 backing plate. Any precautions or advice???

oldford2    -- 09-01-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  No special precautions. Just remove the 2 nuts that the brackets go to. Slip the brackets on the existing studs and tighten with the special inside threaded nuts that come with the kit HOWEVER- before you do the hub brackets, figure out how the top brackets will mount. I had a Monroe conversion kit a few years ago for my 46. I had major interference with the gas tank lip on the drivers side and the shocks were at such a shallow angle that I gave up. I sent my original shocks to Lou Trinque for rebuilding (Bill Wzorek (sp?) does them now). Work great. Let us know how you make out.
John

parrish    -- 09-01-2010 @ 8:31 AM
  It's been painful getting to this point! I'm using Pete and Jakes shock stud (photo attached. Drake sells them, too) for the upper and my biggest concern was having enough clearance in front of the rear cross support lip. I will take your advice today. I had hoped for a more formidable upper support, but have been advised that this single threaded stud is good enough. Thanks for your help!

trjford8    -- 09-01-2010 @ 10:20 AM
  You may have to trim the upper frame lip for clearance. In the past I have used the upper brackets made by Chassis Engineering. I personally think they are stronger than the use of the single stud. The original studs for the tube shocks on a 48 passed all the way through the crossmember.

deluxe40    -- 09-01-2010 @ 10:25 AM
  I've been dealing with the same issue since April when the NSRA safety inspectors failed my '41 because there were not enough threads showing past the nuts on the upper rear shock bolts. When I tore it apart I discovered that a previous owner had used washers to space the shocks away from the frame. I had to grind a small semi-circle in the frame lip to get the shock to mount properly. Further, my shock kit has bolts without the large flange shown in your picture and I am concerned that this will put too much stress on the frame. I now have a pair of bolts like the ones you show and will be changing to those next. Hopefully, there will be enough threads to use a large washer on the back side and still satisfy the safety inspectors.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-01-2010 @ 4:25 PM
  I'm with oldford on having the originals rebuilt,seems a lot easier.
a simple bolt on installation.
I had the tube shocks on my 37 and took them off. wanted it to be more original.when I restored it
still have the TUBE SHOCK set up,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,!!!

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 9-3-10 @ 6:19 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1788