Topic: 36 Banjo Wheel Repair

Jim    -- 08-29-2010 @ 7:30 PM
  The hub on my banjo wheel needs repair. The plastic/bakelite around the stainless steel spokes has worn and the steering wheel now wobbles. That is, if I grab the top of the steering wheel, I can move it in and out toward the windshield about an inch. It would seem that filling in the gap between the hub and each of the stainless spokes would solve the problem, but not sure how to go about this. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this problem? THANKS!

trjford8    -- 08-30-2010 @ 7:01 AM
  Jim, if the spokes are loose it may not be repairable. Moving an inch is a lot of movement. Are you sure its the spokes or is it the wheel(hub) on the shaft? That much movement could indicate that the column bushing is worn.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-30-2010 @ 2:29 PM
  Were the banjo spoke attaches to the outer metal rim could have broken,this is not good,you will have check to see if this happened,
there is a expoxy,[ I think PC7 is what it is called ] that you mix the 2 together and is used, they use it on BOWLING BALLS,and works good,
try a local bowling alley, maybe they can help you,
also there are people that restore steering wheels,
try HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS, or the V8 TIMES,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!!
the easiest would to find a original replacement,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-31-10 @ 5:00 AM

Jim    -- 08-31-2010 @ 6:36 AM
  Thanks for the replies. I don't think it is the bushing as there is no play with the hub on the steering shaft. The plastic around each stainless spoke is elongated, so I think I'm going to try taking a Dremel tool and grind away a bit of the plastic around each spoke, about 1/2 inch deep, then filling the holes with epoxy, let it set and refinish the hub.
I'll let you know how this works out.

trjford8    -- 08-31-2010 @ 7:25 AM
  Jim, the spokes are welded to a steel ring which is then covered with the rim material. If the spokes have broken away from the steel ring you may have a whole new set of problems. There are people who can re-weld the spokes, but it usually means that you have to re-cast the rim. That is a pricey process.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1781