Topic: 1950 Ford upholstery

bubbabud    -- 08-29-2010 @ 12:45 PM
  Have any members had an experience with a upholstery kit from Macs auto parts in New York? Their kit prices are much lower than LeBarron Bonney. The materials used seem to be the same but why the big difference in cost. I want to redo the interior of my 1950 Custom Deluxe coupe and am looking for some feedback.
Thanks, Bud # 9122

supereal    -- 08-29-2010 @ 3:16 PM
  Bud: There is a reason L-B is more expensive. Their kits contain all the materials needed, such as padding, etc, all top quality. If you have any problems, they can, almost always, talk you thru it. If it is a material problem, they will make it right. We have installed several of their kits. The first one was for a Model A. It went in beautifully but, the next day we found the headliner hanging loose. We called them, and they apologized because their "blind stitching" machine apparently failed. They overnighted a replacement to us. In another project, one of the seat backs ripped when it was stretched over the seat. They made two, no charge, so we could get it right. The big difference is L-B makes their own kits. Most others just sell them. How much help would you expect in that case?

bubbabud    -- 08-29-2010 @ 4:32 PM
  Thanks for the info. Bud

trjford8    -- 08-30-2010 @ 7:10 AM
  Bud, LB does do a good job on their kits and have been around for a long time. Mac's does make their its "in house", but are new comers to the upholstery business. When I was at their shop about 4 years ago they were just getting started doing upholstery. I've seen some of their kits installed that looked good, but I've seen others that did not look so good. I agree with Bob that you get what you pay for.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-31-2010 @ 4:59 AM
  I like LeBaron Bonney,
but you have to consider,you want a driver or a show car.
if you are doing a driver and might sell it later on ,
or you are restoring and ITS a KEEPER.
The cheaper kit is probably made out of cheaper materials,and will do the job, but might not last as long,
and actually how much difference is there in the end,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

MICHV8    -- 08-31-2010 @ 8:24 AM
  I have used both. I currently have a LB interior and a MACS and see no difference in quality with one exception. The MACS headliner appears to be of slightly thinner material...and I mean slightly. MACS is able absorb some overhead due to their volume and diversification. Although they had (and still have) excellent quality, I believe LB was overpriced for years due to lack of competition. I buy from MACS,C&G,Baxter,Joblot, and others and have found MACS customer reps to be as willing as anyone to make you a repeat customer. I found recently that MACS had "de-bundled" their interiors which is a nice feature. Whether LB does the same, I don't know...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1778