Topic: 52 8RT Fan Bearing

BMora    -- 08-25-2010 @ 3:14 PM
  The fan seized up and destroyed the belt. I know I have to replace the belt, but not sure how to tackle fan bearing replacement or whatever is required to get cruzing again.

supereal    -- 08-25-2010 @ 4:24 PM
  You can order fan parts from C&G. See page 110 in their online catalog at www.cgfordparts.com The "dipper" fan hub was not one of Ford's "better ideas". I went thru a couple of them,and finally made my own using sealed ball bearings. I was concerned about the hub failing and tossing the fan thru my expensive new radiator.

BMora    -- 08-25-2010 @ 5:37 PM
  Thanks Supereal for locating that awesome source of relevant parts and infromation. Now, after reviewing that, it says that 90 weight oil is needed for lubrication for the new assembly.

This is where my next question come in. I just had my radaitor and fan cleaned and painted (professionally along with an accompanying flathead rebuild), however, is it possible that after cleaning and painting, that they did not know that the cleaning removed the necessary lubricant and did not replace the 90 weight oil causing it to seize?

supereal    -- 08-25-2010 @ 6:52 PM
  The original decal on the fan hub said to use "motor oil", and it was never changed. A later service bulletin said to use "transmission oil". The hub serves as a reservoir and the oil is picked up by a dipper as the hub turns and is dropped on the shaft, which has a "corkscrew" groove that is supposed to carry the oil back to the hub. The problem with the hub is that it has no real bearings or bushings in it, and rides on a pot metal hub. To correctly fill the hub, you remove the plug and pour in the oil, then turn the filler to the bottom and allow the excess to drain. If you don't do that, it sling oil all over the engine. It is an odd device, and I just got tired of being far from home, only to have the doggone thing start to howl. Thus, we hatched up the ball bearing version several years ago, and have run it several thousand miles. If your hub ran dry, it is likely that the aluminum park should be replaced, or you can get a rebuilt from C&G. The spindle "bearing" is about 20 bucks. It isn't hard to take apart, but should be inspected before you run it. If it seized, it may be junk.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1764