Topic: 1940 V8 bellhousing

f1ford48    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:25 PM
  Im getting ready to install my engine in my 41 pickup and noticed a hairline crack in the upper bellhousing. the crack starts at the right alignment pin and goes a couple inches toward the cylinder bank- is this a common occurance and should it be repaired?

JM    -- 08-23-2010 @ 6:06 AM
  I would not think a crack like you discribe is a common occurance. One possible reason it's there is someone may have had that engine mounted on an engine stand using the bell housing. This is a no no but many people disregard the warning and do it anyway. Sometimes it will result in a cracked/broken bell housing.
If it were my engine, I would have it welded.
JM

This message was edited by JM on 8-23-10 @ 6:08 AM

40 Coupe    -- 08-23-2010 @ 6:22 AM
  If the crack is short and tight I would use it as is. I have seen cracks in this area before. Unless you know the previous history of the block, the crack could have happened in any number of ways, and many years ago. Who would know for sure?

40guy    -- 08-23-2010 @ 7:51 AM
  I would have it welded for sure. A short thin crack can turn into a long wide one given the stress and vibrations in this area.

supereal    -- 08-23-2010 @ 9:31 AM
  Usually, this happens when the transmission is not square with the clutch housing, and someone cinched down the bolts in an effort to pull it together or, as said above, the engine was placed on a stand by the clutch housing instead of by the exhaust manifold. Successful welding of cast iron is difficult, particularly with the engine in place. I'd put it together and run it. The bolts will support the housing.

alanwoodieman    -- 08-23-2010 @ 9:51 AM
  go to the end of the crack, drill a 1/8" hole, be sure you are at the end, this will stop the crack from becoming longer, if it were to be welded this is what they would do to keep the crack from going further anyway

f1ford48    -- 08-24-2010 @ 12:21 PM
  thanks for the help guys-whata great forum this is! I like supereal's idea best--

Stroker    -- 08-25-2010 @ 8:30 AM
  Alanwoodieman & Supereal are both spot-on, and I think the advice to "stop-drill" the end of the crack would be good insurance. If you spray a little dye-penetrant in the area of the crack,
it will make it easier to see where it actually stops, which may be somewhat farther than you can
see without the dye. Even a 1/16" drill will help prevent the crack from migrating.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1750