Topic: electrical

46fordnut    -- 08-22-2010 @ 6:06 AM
  i need some new wiring in my 1946 ford . have shorts in lighting and some other places . idea were to buy new wires?

mvillebob    -- 08-22-2010 @ 6:19 AM
  46:
You might visit this web site - Rhode Island Wiring.
www.riwire.com/

Have not used them. Think someone at some point posted this source on the Forum. Am sure there will be other suggestions. Good luck on the re-wiring project.
Best,
Bob

supereal    -- 08-22-2010 @ 8:53 AM
  You can buy new wiring in sections as needed from C&G. Their online catalog is at www.cgfordparts.com. Replacing an entire wire loom is a big job, and often the harness provided has unneeded branches, as the maker sets them up for a variety of models. Replacing circuits, such as the lighting portion, is considerably easier than trying to remove the old wires and installing new at the same time. We solder the connections where bullet connectors were used, and cover them with heat shrink tubes to maintain the original look. Those connectors were designed to make original assembly easier, but are a main source of problems as the vehicles aged.

TomO    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:29 AM
  The wiring harnesses supplied by Rhode Island Wiring, Narraganset wiring, Tyree Wires and other quality vendors will fit your car very well and it is not that big of an undertaking. The job can be easily completed in less than a day, even by an old guy with bifocals. The universal type harnesses have extra wires and may have to be modified in order to fit.

I would remove the front seat to do the dashboard. This gives you a nice flat surface to lay on while working under the dash.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:32 AM
  ON THE WIRING, which is real important to install a good set, this is the last place you want to skimp,
RHODE ISAND gets my vote, AMERICAN MADE !!!
IT MIGHT NOT BE THE CHEAPEST but is a very nicely made correct gauge wire and correct colors and comes with a WIRING Diagram and they have a phone number if you need help,
just my 3 cents worth
37 RAGTOPMAN,an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,

46fordnut    -- 08-22-2010 @ 5:23 PM
  what do you think of denis carpenter for this wire set. he have the new replacement cloth wires just as if she were new.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-22-2010 @ 5:24 PM
  ask them were is it MADE ???
37RAGTOPMAN

46fordnut    -- 08-22-2010 @ 5:27 PM
  if i remember right he makes them and there usa maded

TomO    -- 08-23-2010 @ 7:05 AM
  Dennis Carpenter has a good reputation, and carries quality parts. But I don't know who the vendor is that makes his harnesses.

Personally I prefer to deal with the manufacturer of the harness. That way if there is a problem, it can be resolved quickly.

Tom

trjford8    -- 08-23-2010 @ 6:57 PM
  In addition to all the other advice, if you deal with Rhode Island or Tyree Harris they can add extra wires to your harness so you can install turn signals. In today's world you need turn signals as no one understands hand signals. If you give hand signals many times the other driver thinks you are giving them "the bird".

trjford8    -- 08-23-2010 @ 6:58 PM
  In addition to all the other advice, if you deal with Rhode Island or Tyree Harris they can add extra wires to your harness so you can install turn signals. In today's world you need turn signals as no one understands hand signals. If you give hand signals many times the other driver thinks you are giving them "the bird".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1744