Topic: Float in gas tank

MG    -- 08-21-2010 @ 3:07 PM
  What is the correct orientation of the float on the sender unit in my '53's gas tank? Should it be to the front, sides or rear of the tank? Or, does it even matter?

40guy    -- 08-21-2010 @ 5:06 PM
  On some vehicles the mounting holes are configured so the sender will only mount one way, but I must confess I don't know about your particular vehicle. Nevertheless; it is something to check.

trjford8    -- 08-21-2010 @ 8:17 PM
  Usually two holes in the sender are closer together that the others. This will determine the direction of the float. Also your tank has baffles in it. The float should not be close to a baffle as it may hang up on the baffle.

supereal    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:44 AM
  If you are installing a "universal" type sender, it is likely that the arm will have to be adapted to the use. You should be able to see if there is a baffle near the mount by looking down the hole with a bright flashlight. Don't use a regular electric trouble light, as it can be dangerous in case of bulb breakage or other spark. Measure the distance between the top and bottom of the tank, and bend, shorten, or lengthen the arm to match, being careful regarding the position of the baffle.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:46 AM
  while you have the float out,
besure to replace the cork, with a modern gas float,
SNYDERS FORD PARTS has them for about $5.00
in the Model A section,can be adapted to work ,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,
measure your holes to see if you can find the ones that line up, it should only go in ONE WAY,if original FORD and not a repop part,

MG    -- 08-24-2010 @ 11:30 AM
  You're right! It can only be installed one way given the hole pattern on the sending unit. The arm and float are oriented to the rear of the tank when installed correctly. I tried using a new neopreme/rubber gasket and it leaked with a full tank of gas. I went back to an original cork gasket wiped with vaseline and it sealed perfectly.

Thanks for the help guys!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1742