Topic: head milling for flathead

blutrk1    -- 08-21-2010 @ 1:32 PM
  does anyone know how much you can mill the heads on a flathead 59a engine and on a 8ba engine if they are different thanks

supereal    -- 08-21-2010 @ 2:14 PM
  At our shop, we just surface the heads until they present a smooth, flat gasket surface. Taking excess stock increases the possibility of cracking around the water holes. Any difference in compression between the 59A and 8BA heads should be slight, if any.

ford38v8    -- 08-21-2010 @ 3:04 PM
  blutrk1, In the old days, shaving heads was done to raise the compression ratio to gain more horsepower. The actual gain was negligible, but the downside was that the heads could wind up with hot spots, and possible cracks as Super points out.

If you still want to shave your heads anyway, it's wise to clay the heads first to determine how much to shave. After shaving, lay the heads on without a gasket, and turn the engine over by hand to double check that you haven't removed too much meat. If you have shaved too much, the pistons or valves will bump, and you'll have to use two gaskets for proper clearance.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-21-2010 @ 4:31 PM
  I heard if you want higher compression to use 81T HEADS,these were used on trucks for more power,this is what I heard,or saw on a web site, I think they were 7.5 - 1 maybe more,
will try finding more info,37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:00 AM
  It is also important to be sure your heads are suitable for the type of pistons, domed or flat. As Alan suggests, checking valve clearance is important, as well. The old style 41T (85-90 hp) heads have to be reamed in the valve head area to accommodate the 59A (90-100 hp)valves.

TomO    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  On a 239 cu in engine, the 81T heads will give you a 6.5:1 compression ratio, on a 221 cu in engine, it would be about 6.15:1. These heads would have to have the valve area cut to work on a 59A block.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1740