Topic: ORIGINAL AMPCO OILER for sale again $62.95

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-21-2010 @ 10:57 AM
  I found the ORIGINAL AMPCO OILER for sale for $62.95 by MOSS motors,it tells you to use MARVEL MYSTERY OIL.
PART NUMBER is 220-175 it is in there new CLASSIC MINI CATALOG. 1 800 667 7872 www.MossMotors.com web site.
just putting this out there, a lot better then if you bought one on E-BAY,
Hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN,an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!!!

oldford2    -- 08-21-2010 @ 1:37 PM
  Ragtop,
If you go direct to Ampco http://www.ampcolubes.com/index.php?content=products

The price is $59.95. Now, in addition, you still need to buy the injector plate for under the carb.
John

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-21-2010 @ 4:28 PM
  I just happen to find this in their catalog,maybe for someone interested in using one,
someone happened to mention these on this forum.
I have no need for one, happy the way my 37 runs as is,
but good to put this out there for other members that may be interested in one,
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,

35gal    -- 08-21-2010 @ 5:37 PM
  What is it for?

mvillebob    -- 08-21-2010 @ 5:40 PM
  Ragtop:
See lower right portion of p.3 of the May/June issue of the Times for an ad for the AMPCO Top Oiler. Appears to be all one would need to be in the Top Oiler business. I recall a post from Super about the downside of using one, but do not recall the details of his post.
Best,

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:40 AM
  YES if ajusted to rich will foul the spark plugs and carbon up the cylinders,like super says,
the up side ,I would think,if ajusted correctly will aid when breaking a new rebuilt engine in preventing sticking valve,also aid in uppper cylinder lubricanting,
its not for everyone,but some people love them,
just my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

mvillebob    -- 08-22-2010 @ 10:37 AM
  Ragtop,

Growing up in Iowa, my Dad had one of these oilers on his 1950 Ford and he swore by it.

This is my 2 cents worth making our combined contribution the sum of a nickel!
Best,
Bob

supereal    -- 08-22-2010 @ 5:07 PM
  The key to preventing problems with the top oiler is the calibration and adjustment. I've never quite understood the long term benefit of the things. They are supposed to prevent sticky valves, but putting MMO in the gas does the same thing, but only when you need to. Sticky valves used to be a regular topic before detergent oil. If you have the problem now, it is time for at least a valve job. The oilers were one in dozens of gadgets that were dealer installed to jack up the price, post war. If they were essential, they would still be making them as a main line item, I suspect.

mvillebob    -- 08-22-2010 @ 7:20 PM
  Super,

Good points! Thanks.

It is about football time in Iowa City. Enjoy the weekend traffic.

Best,

Bob

ole_Bill    -- 08-26-2010 @ 5:55 AM
  No!! Is there really football outside the Southeastern Conference? ROLL TIDE!!

mvillebob    -- 08-27-2010 @ 2:09 PM
  Bill,
I thought you "rolled smokes" and "washed clothes with Tide!" I used to be a professor Duke and what can I say about football!!!
Have a good season! Better stop before I get in trouble talking FB on a flathead site!
Best,
Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1739