Topic: fan belt adjusting bar

flat34chili    -- 08-20-2010 @ 11:20 PM
  h*llo everyone, i am looking for a picture of the fan belt adjusting bar and the dimentions info that was written about it, it was in the v8times 2006, jan/feb vol 43 issue #1 page 18.
thanks rich

deluxe40    -- 08-21-2010 @ 9:54 AM
  Here's the tool I made after reading the article. I didn't make it exactly as specified, but it works for me. The bar is 1" x 1/8" x 14" and the 6" bolt is 1/4-20. ( I think I needed a longer bolt than specified to clear the water hose on my '40.)

silverchief    -- 08-21-2010 @ 11:11 AM

How can I get a copy of this article?

flat34chili    -- 08-21-2010 @ 1:43 PM
  thanks deluxe40, i have only been a efv8ca member since 07, and as you know the V8Times copy is not online for review as yet.

thanks again rich

ford38v8    -- 08-21-2010 @ 2:04 PM
  Rich, A small prybar and a block of wood is all you need. You can easily get too much leverage with any similar tool, though. Damage to your water pumps can result, or with too little tension, your water pumps may not turn at all. Go for about 1" slack on the belt and you'll be good.

Alan

supereal    -- 08-21-2010 @ 2:10 PM
  Bill: I can scan it for you. It may be a handy gadget, but we use a tire iron for the same job using the right head as a fulcrum, place the iron under the generator, loosen the big bolt holding the generator and push it up until you have about 1/2 inch of slack on the side of the belt. If you are doing this with the later cars with a separate fan belt, be sure to loosen the fan bracket if you can't get the proper generator/water pump belt set, then tighten the fan belt separately, as it moves up with the generator belt adjustment.

carguy    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:26 AM
  For my '34 I just made a tapered block of wood which I gently tap in place until I get the tension I want on the belt.

TomO    -- 08-22-2010 @ 9:34 AM
  I just lift up on the generator with my hands with the generator nut and washer hand tight, then tighten the nut. I have never found a need for a pry bar to get the correct tension on the wide generator belt. The thin one used on the 50 and up Ford, requires less free play and any simple pry tool will lift the generator enough to get the correct tension.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 08-22-2010 @ 8:41 PM
  Tom, if you had a bad back like many of us, and only two hands to work with like most of us, you'd take that back, I bet!... on second thought, there's one situation that could work for me: When I use one of those darn belts that is too short, and the generator has to be tilted to even get the belt on the pully.

How do you hold it up and tighten the nut at the same time? That's what a wife is for, I know!

Alan

TomO    -- 08-23-2010 @ 6:56 AM
  Alan, I have a very bad back and am restricted to lifting 20lbs. I just had some nerves burned out with RF probes, to relieve the pain last Thursday, and it is not working very well.

Once I lift the generator up, I can hold it with one hand and push the ratchet handle down with the other hand.

I guess it is easier to do on the 40 because you don't have to reach out as far as you do on other years.

Tom

silverchief    -- 08-24-2010 @ 1:52 PM
  Supereal,

Yes I would like a copy of that article. On my 49 both the fan and generator belt move together, and it has been a real hassle to get a correct adjustment.

supereal    -- 08-24-2010 @ 2:47 PM
  OK, Bill, and anyone else who wants the article. It was originally printed in the Jan/Feb issue of the V8 TIMES by Chuck Ferencz.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1737