Topic: 1934 Generator Gauge question

NATESBPD    -- 08-18-2010 @ 10:31 PM
  Might seem like a dumb question... but the wire that goes through the Gauge for the generator...does the wire just go through the loop in the back of the gauge and back to the fuse block or do you strip the wire a little in that place?

just put the wire through the gauge and back to the fuse block but it doesnt read on the Amp gauge any ideas?
Thanks
Nate

ford38v8    -- 08-18-2010 @ 10:54 PM
  Nate, I have a great understanding of electricity... I know for a fact that it can shock me. With regard to your ammeter, yes, the insulated wire slips through the loop, and then the invisible magic of electricity takes over. One stipulation: It has to go through the loop in the correct direction, don't ask me why, just do it. One way it works, the other way it doesn't.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 08-19-2010 @ 6:42 AM
  for 35 the insulated wire enters the loop from the bottom and exits top and then to the fuse connection. If it is backard the gauge would read discharge in stead of charge. in either case it should read.

TomO    -- 08-19-2010 @ 6:54 AM
  Think of the wire as a water pipe and the ammeter as a microphone and speaker. The current going through the wire is picked up by the loop (microphone) and ampliphied and sent to the gauge (speaker) just like the sound of water going through a pipe would be picked up and amplified.

The loop on the back of the gauge is direction sensitive, so the gauge will show the correct amount and flow of the current, + means that the generator is producing more current than the car needs to run and the excess is being stored in the battery. - means that the car is using more current than the generator is supplying and the current is being drawn from the battery.

Tom

NATESBPD    -- 08-19-2010 @ 8:11 AM
  Thank you,, we had the gauge repaired and cleaned up and thought i was doing something wrong when it didnt read.
Thanks again!

supereal    -- 08-19-2010 @ 10:19 AM
  The ammeter works by sensing the magnetic field generated as current flows thru the wire. The loops capture some of this field and cause the needle to move in the direction of the flow. You can see this action by holding a small hand compass near a wire. The compass needle will swing toward the conductor when current is present. The ammeter, as with most other old car gauges, is an imprecise indicator, sort of like a weather vane. It tell you that the wind (current) is blowing, and from which direction, but is a poor display of velocity. A better gauge of car electrical condition is a voltmeter.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1732