Topic: Gremlins and Moisture in system ?

Drbrown    -- 10-04-2024 @ 9:25 AM
  Yesterday put in fresh gas, started and drove my '47 after being unused about 6 months. When parked last time experienced "stumbling" when acerating under load into upper RPM's in 2nd gear. Being in City I couldn't test what would happen in 3rd gear. Then yesterday it started up with just a few rotations, idled and accelerated in neutral fine. On the street under a load it repeated the same "stumbling" when accelerating in upper RPM's 2nd gear. Parked overnight. Started this AM and ran very rough but didn't stall. Had to get inspection for registration renewal so had to drive there with a very cranky-running engine. It sat for about 30 minutes. When done, started engine and drove home with the engine running ABSOLUTLY FINE in all gears !!! Seems the warmed-up engine probably had time to dry-off some moisture in the distributor or on spark plugs/wire. Regarding the 2-bolt duel-point distributor, it never had a gasket between the distributor cap and body (as seen in some gasket sets) and I have always left it that way. Regardless, the supposed moisture issue does not explain the previous "stumbling" behavior so apparently there is another hidden issue. Any thoughts about this medley ? Wiring connections are tight. We'll see tomorrow if it still runs fine.

carcrazy    -- 10-04-2024 @ 7:44 PM
  You may have some crud in the fuel system that is temporally restricting fuel flow to the carburetor.

Drbrown    -- 10-05-2024 @ 8:32 AM
  Thanks carcrazy. Have been suspicious of the distributor condenser but given the erratic mis-behavior I'm now thinking your reply fits. I have new tank; rebuilt pump, carb and distributor by Charlie. No visual debris observed in fuel pump bowl but gum could form in carbonator during long-term sitting. I use a fuel storage additive but they may not provide long-term protection or protection against gum formation. Hoping next drive continues to be faultless. Otherwise, I can put on my spare carb to test the theory.

trjford8    -- 10-06-2024 @ 7:26 AM
  If your car sits for a long time put some Stabil in the gas. It works well in my small generator when t sits for long periods. This new gas can cause problems for cars that sit for long periods. Put the Stabil in the tank just before you park it for a long period.

Drbrown    -- 10-06-2024 @ 9:10 AM
  I do use Stabil - marine grade. Based on some old posts at this forum, I also occasionally use the blue colored Star-tron Marine which claims to be effective for two years. Members felt it was one of the best. Either one is appropriate.

nelsb01    -- 10-06-2024 @ 2:12 PM
  Preferably.................put the stabilizer in before you fill the tank. Or, mix it in a gas can and then add it to your tank.
Adding any stabilizer without mixing it with the gas will not give you the best option.

51woodie    -- 10-06-2024 @ 2:13 PM
  Up in the great white of Northern Ontario, my '46, 59AB Coupe sits in the garage for about five months of the year. I put the car up on stands, change all the oils, top up the fuel and add stabilizer, and trickle charge the battery once a month to "top it up". In the spring, I wait for a few good rains to wash the salt off the roads, take the car off the stands and it is ready for the road. What I find, is the car likes to "act up" for the first one or two runs. Hard to start, doesn't like to idle well, the clutch is grabby, and the brakes take a bit more pressure. It's just a little stiff and achy, just like me getting out of bed in the morning.

ford38v8    -- 10-06-2024 @ 4:10 PM
  Woodie, A lot of us here are stiff and achy all the year long, and haven’t found any snake oil that could fix us up like Stabil in the tank.
Damn good thinking to keep the car in the garage till the salt is washed away. I’ve seen many car bodies in the Northern States that would go flying off the frame in a panic stop.

Alan

Drbrown    -- 10-07-2024 @ 7:06 AM
  Woodie and 38V8: Couldn't agree more. I'm 9 years older than my Ford and we both have our cranky and stiff times. My '47 spent most of its life somewhere in CA, has little rust and so I keep it off the wet/salty roads in northern NY State. I think it had a body-off event sometime before me - I see new cushion pads between body and frame. With all its high quality iron body I suspect this car would do extensive damage to a conventional modern car with all their plastic snap-together body parts.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 10-7-24 @ 7:10 AM

Robert/Texas    -- 10-08-2024 @ 7:24 AM
  I keep my old Fords in a barn 95 miles from my house in Houston. I'm 90 years old so they don't get driven a lot and the humidity is often high there. I have been adding a little Heet to the gas and that has worked well for me.

lawrie    -- 10-13-2024 @ 4:31 PM
  Laying up,
We are so very lucky here in Queensland where I live, summer 30-35C
winter ?? 20 -25C NO snow or even frosts to deal with, cars get used all year round.
We may have to give some extra thought if heading out west in summer as temps there can be up to 45C, we have been in the 33 in 47C buts its not too comfortable ,car is OK but we need drink plenty of water..
Lawrie

Drbrown    -- 10-17-2024 @ 10:37 AM
  Back to original issue .... since the car sporadically ran absolutely fine there appeared to be no problem with fuel supply, carburation or the function of the spark plugs. So .... suspicion focused on the distributor and/or its condenser and I installed a spare point's distributor I have from Charles S. and the car now starts and runs great ALL the time. The removed distributor is going to Charles for his attention. Thank s to all here ....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17244