Topic: '47 thermostats

louganser    -- 08-17-2010 @ 9:48 PM
  I just had my radiator rodded and when I pulled the hoses, there were no stats in the upper hoses. I purchased 160 degree stats. Which way are they to be inserted against the flange in the hoses? Spring up or down? Thanks!

Lou G

ford38v8    -- 08-17-2010 @ 10:39 PM
  Lou, the temperature sensing mechanism must be on the hot water side in the head.

Another thought: If you had no stats then, why put them in now unless you live in a cold climate? Stats merely restrict the flow for a faster warmup, which is plenty fast with a flathead anyway.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 8-17-10 @ 10:44 PM

kubes40    -- 08-18-2010 @ 6:12 AM
  Spring down into the cylinder head.
I run 155* stats in all my flathead's. Not only do they get the engine to heat up quicker, they restrict the water flow through the radiator a bit so it (the water) actually has time for the radiator to do its job adequately. That is, dissipate the heat from the water...

bo8109b    -- 08-18-2010 @ 6:49 AM
  When you say you just had your radiator rodded, what does that mean? Boiled out is one thing but rodded sounds like they dismantled the radiator and ran a cleaning tool down the tubes.

kubes40    -- 08-18-2010 @ 4:16 PM
  "Rodded" means just what you thought. The tanks are removed and a rod of the appropriate size is run through each & every tube. Makes for a VERY good cleansing of the radiator. The problem these days is it is difficult at best to get anyone to do this. Most places simply want to toss the old radiator away and have you buy a new one. Also, boiling out a radiator in most cases (these days) is not near what it once was. The chemicals used to accomplish a thorough cleansing are all but gone.

louganser    -- 08-18-2010 @ 5:39 PM
  Exactly what the shop did. They removed upper & lower tanks, soaked everything overnight. and pushed a brush through the tubes. It was so bad, that I could not see the tubes before and no liquid was geting through.

Lou G

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1724