Topic: under dash fuse

MICHV8    -- 09-13-2024 @ 10:43 AM
  This is next to my resister and certainly looks original...is it? If so, how is it load calibrated or is it static? It is currently by passed by the previous owner which I will fix once I get the radio box out...
Thanks

kubes40    -- 09-13-2024 @ 1:05 PM
  That's the headlamp circuit breaker minus the cover.

I'll hazard a guess and say the previous owner bypassed it in order to run full voltage to the lamps.
Me? I'd be thinking a circuit breaker is there for a reason

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

MICHV8    -- 09-14-2024 @ 6:11 AM
  thanks Mike...looks like the cigar lighter, voltage regulator, ignition switch feed it with the headlamp and pillar light fed, right? The cigar lighter without the fuse is scary

ford38v8    -- 09-14-2024 @ 12:01 PM
  Mitch, lots of guys, including me, have discovered the hard way about the scary cigar lighters on early Fords. Most have disconnected the cigar lighter and leave it in place just for looks. The only circuits on the fuse, or in your case the breaker, is the lights. All lighting circuits should be on that breaker, and nothing else. If you have a radio, it will have its own separate in-line fuse.

Alan

kubes40    -- 09-14-2024 @ 3:18 PM
  Alan is correct in his advice. The ONLY fires I have ever had in my Fords (over the course of 50+ years) have started with the cigar lighter or it's wiring.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 09-14-2024 @ 3:40 PM
  Mike, I've got a constant reminder of my learning that lesson, in the scars on my hand from pulling on red hot wires.

Alan

kubes40    -- 09-15-2024 @ 5:33 AM
  Alan, I am laughing WITH you.
Wanna compare hand injuries some day?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

MICHV8    -- 09-20-2024 @ 5:43 AM
  So the circuit breaker is not a manual reset, but a thermal cool down based on the reduction in resistance right?
If so, what is the typical reset time duration?

JayChicago    -- 09-22-2024 @ 1:25 PM
  Yes, thermal cool down automatically resets the circuit breaker based on reduction in current. When the breaker trips open, current stops flowing, breaker cools, resets. Never experienced it, but I think it does this in just a few seconds. If the over-current condition is still present, breaker will continue to trip open-closed. Lights will be flashing off-on, but probably enough lighting to see you home on a country road.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 9-22-24 @ 1:53 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17223