Topic: 1935 Speedo issue/output gear

Howie1935    -- 09-09-2024 @ 11:06 AM
  Just got my hands on a Deluxe 1935 closed fordor beauty. The speedo does not work. I hooked a drill to end of drive cable and speedo works fine. How can I safely check if output gear at end of trans is working? Next, is it possible to know how much the speedo cable needs to extent to get to the output gear? I would like to know my speed.

Thanks,
Howie1935

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-09-2024 @ 3:45 PM
  speeddo not working
did you try pulling out the innner cable ?
if might be broken,
sometimes you can change the innner cable, with out removine the entire cable
look under the car where the cable is attached to the drive shaft,
you might be able to unscrew the cable end,
to see if the cable is broken on the lower end,
make sure you lube the entire cable, and also the speedometer, it might have been the reason for the breakage,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman. Maine

40 Coupe    -- 09-10-2024 @ 5:24 AM
  Just the two small bolts hold the speedometer turtle to the drive shaft you can remove it without any fuss. There is a gasket try not to rip it.

Howie1935    -- 09-10-2024 @ 5:41 AM
  Thanks for response. Cable is intact, when I put a drill motor on trans end and rotate slowly, speedo works fine. It seems well lubed. I want to know a safe way to see if trans speedo gear is rotating when driveshaft is rotating.

Howie1935    -- 09-10-2024 @ 5:44 AM
  Thanks. The driveshaft has a torque tube surrounding it, I can't rotate by hand. I was hoping you'd say I could rotate the wheel, raised on a jack and see the gear rotate. I'd need a 2nd person to do that. I'm reluctant to start and run in gear on a stand by myself and crawl under car to inspect. Any other thoughts?

Howie1935    -- 09-10-2024 @ 5:48 AM
  To understand. 1. See if I can manually rotate gear once cable off. It should NOT rotate. 2. If it does rotate, remove two bolts to turtle and carefully remove without damaging gasket between turtle and housing of trans. 3. Remove gear and inspect or replace.

Am I on the right path?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-10-2024 @ 11:54 AM
  you could put into gear with out the motor running and turn the motor over by hand, a hand crank,
do a 1/8 1/4 at a time and inspect the driver gear, the driven gear is the housing that you took off,
see it any of the gears has damage,
use a good light and a mirror,
if it is the driver gear it is a big job, will have to remove the rear end, to get at that gear,,
let us know how you made out,
HOPE this helps,
37RAGTOPMAN, Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 9-11-24 @ 1:17 PM

Howie1935    -- 09-11-2024 @ 10:11 AM
  Thanks ragman, I'll start this when I get a moment. I appreciate all the information.

juergen    -- 09-11-2024 @ 4:45 PM
  Put the rear end on jack stands. Take the trans cover off to get at the turtle. Start the car and put it in gear. You should be able to see it turn with the cable disconnected. From your description to date, I doubt if the turns. You can take it off and see if the gear on the driveshaft turns or examine the turtle and see why it doesn't The turtle should have a number on it (like 19 which corresponds to the gears in the turtle) or a gear ratio (like 3.79 which corresponds to the matching rear end ratio) If you need a new turtle start with a similar one.

Howie1935    -- 09-12-2024 @ 6:07 AM
  Thanks, starting on this today. May not get through it all.

v8teditor    -- 09-17-2024 @ 6:14 AM
  Did you get it fixeed?

Howie1935    -- 09-22-2024 @ 10:39 AM
  Nope, other things have come up. Brakes are bad. The brakes have been updated to juice system. I found a few leaks and repaired. Replaced bad wheel cylinder and some lines. Also replaced front shoes. Now brakes go from nothing to dragging hard when I do slightest adjustment. Sort of at a dead end.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17211