Topic: Is it factory stock or have gremlins been at work?

wmsteed    -- 10-21-2009 @ 10:02 AM
  I just made a posting to the question about how much chrome is correct for a '36 grille. My response brought to mind a car that was recently up for bid on eBay.
The car was located in Argentina. It was a '39 Plymouth seven passenger sedan. The seven passenger sedan is a very rare car, they were factory built with a longer chassis and longer rear doors. Folding Jump seats were placed in front of the rear seat.
The car was well documented, having been built in the Detroit factory and shipped to Argentina. The car was sold new to a wealthy lady in Argentina and remained her property until her recent passing.
The car was reputedly original, having been maintained mechanically, with minor repairs to the upholstery and cosmetic touch up to the paint.
Now the mystery starts.... someplace, somehow... between Detroit and the time the car was put up for sale it acquired dual fender mounted spare tires and it lost the rear quarter windows to the rear of the doors.
The fender mounts and custom body work do not appear on the original build sheet, yet they are there. The fender mounts were a special option in '39 and could have been dealer installed, however the covers on the car in question is more similar to a '40 Buick or Packard.
So there you have it, another example of what "Super" referred to as.. "never say always, or never" when referring to old cars.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8    -- 10-21-2009 @ 11:46 AM
  Bill, your reference to the rare 7 passenger Plymouth Sedan reminds me of
the "Jitneys" in San Francisco (during? and) after WWII. I think they were all
Plymouths, and were invariably packed with a dozen Sailors, each paying
his own fare. I don't doubt that Jitneys were also used in other cities in
those days for the same reasons. This would account for the rarity of
these vehicles today!

Now watch us get slapped down for talking about a Brand X!

Alan

Savvy    -- 10-21-2009 @ 5:34 PM
  As a kid, I rode the Jitney a lot between the SF Transbay Bus terminal and my grandparent's house in Daly City.
This was between 1958 and 1965 when my mom didn't have her driver's license yet.

supereal    -- 10-23-2009 @ 8:56 AM
  Amen, Brother Bill.While Ford and other manufacturers used "running changes" frequently during any model year, the practice has gotten even more pronounced today. When we order repair parts now, we usually have to furnish the VIN of the vehicle because there is limited interchangeability, even in the same make. model, and year. The concourse judges certainly have a tough job sorting out "correctness". I learned a long time ago that being "sure" usually meant I wasn't!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=172