Topic: 1936 survivor

jknopf10msncom    -- 08-06-2024 @ 10:29 AM
  Unfortunately I have a new issue with my old ford. My last problem was solved with the help I received from several guys on this web, thank you.
Now I think I may have a fuel issue. The car starts and idles great but when I drive it the motor cuts out bad. It is all I can do to get it back in the garage. I find myself pumping the gas to keep it running. Could this be a carburetor or points and plugs issue? Any ideas or suggestion please will help.
Thanks Judy jknopf10@msn.com

JayChicago    -- 08-06-2024 @ 8:16 PM
  The choke needs to remain partially pulled out until the engine is well warmed up. Are you doing that?

carcrazy    -- 08-06-2024 @ 8:25 PM
  This could be caused by almost any ignition or fuel system failure. One rule of thumb for dealing with engine running problems with a spark ignition engine is that 90% of the time the ignition system is at fault.

If the engine runs well until it heats up, the most likely suspect is a coil that is going bad. If the engine runs poorly while accelerating or under a load, suspect a weak fuel pump or fuel related problems. Check to make sure the fuel tank is properly vented.

JayChicago    -- 08-07-2024 @ 8:37 AM
  Note this clue from the original post:
“I find myself pumping the gas to keep it running. ”
And she doesn’t say how long it was idling well before trying to drive.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 8-7-24 @ 8:46 AM

jknopf10msncom    -- 08-07-2024 @ 9:20 AM
  typically I usually let the car warm up for at least 10-15 minutes. I use the choke when i start it but have never need to use it other wise. Thank You for the suggestion. Judy

jknopf10msncom    -- 08-07-2024 @ 9:26 AM
  When I posted this problem I kinda knew it wldnt be a quick fix to find the problem. Thank you for the ideas you have given me. I am in the process of trying to find someone that will work on it. I have never had to keep giving it gas to keep it idling as was suggestion by another person who posted an idea.
Thank you I will post an up date when I find the issue.
Thanks Judy

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17165