Topic: 46' Convertible Vent Glass Crank Screw

NGABronco    -- 07-24-2024 @ 1:44 PM
  Most vendors have the cranks, in all colors, but none seem to have the screw that holds them on!!! I don't have the cranks or screws, but I don't want to buy cranks and then have to source the screws. I believe the thread is 10/24s, but it needs a head to sink into the handle.
Any help is appreciated!!!

This message was edited by NGABronco on 7-24-24 @ 1:54 PM

trjford8    -- 07-25-2024 @ 7:46 AM
  That should be an oval head screw. I believe it is a fillips head. Any good hardware store(Ace) should have them.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-25-2024 @ 8:32 AM
  If it's the same screw as on my '46 Station Wagon it isn't an oval head screw. It is a phillips head but it has a shank that goes into recess in the crank handle. I don't believe anyone repro's the screw, but you might be able to use an allen head bolt that has the same type head, as the head will fit into the crank handle recess until you can find the correct screw. The screw in my Station Wagon is about 1 and 1/16 long.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-25-2024 @ 8:53 AM
  Two places that come close are Restoration Supply Company PN, NUT 264 and Restoration Specialties PN, 507. Both are called Fillister Head Screws and both only have slotted not phillips head.

NGABronco    -- 07-25-2024 @ 12:31 PM
  trjford8, thanks for the reply, that screw needs to fit down into the crank???

woodiewagon46, thanks for the part numbers and lead, I have ordered them from Restoration Supply. I knew what the head of the screw needed to look like but I was not familiar with term "Fillister Head", not concerned with slotted or phillips, I just try to use all the same in an application!!!

woodiewagon46    -- 07-25-2024 @ 1:46 PM
  If you look at the crank handle that NGA shows, the recess gets filled up by the special screw head. Fillister Head is close but not exact, allen head will work also. Who knows why Ford didn't just use a countersunk screw, but as you know Henry did some unusual things.

NGABronco    -- 07-27-2024 @ 5:25 AM
  Hey this rig was resto-mod'ed 30 years ago, went thru a fire, passed thru a friends shop for 10 years and came to me in boxes!!!
There was and there will be a lot of mis-matched screws!!!LOL
Thanks for the help!!!

42oink    -- 07-28-2024 @ 12:15 PM
  You've given a few V8-ers some heart palpitations with later flatty and "non-stock" wheels, but it looks pretty sharp. Screw heads seem like a picky thing but if they all look right it will make you money and pride in the end. It just shows that you care. Kinda like a black suit with white socks. Smile. 42OINK

NGABronco    -- 07-30-2024 @ 1:24 PM
  HaHa!!! Hey 42oink, this thing is gonna be -" Kinda like a black suit with white socks and brown shoes!!!" I could have caused serious
palpitations if I had posted the original pics with that other engine that came in it!!! Heck my friends thought I had gone to the dark side!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17153