Topic: 10/30 motor oil with zinz

sarahcecelia    -- 07-17-2024 @ 4:39 AM
  I've googled it; and can't seem to find where I can buy 10/30 motor oil with zinc for my 1950 Crestliner. Does any one know where I can buy it??

Regards, Steve Lee

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-17-2024 @ 5:30 AM
  With low valve spring pressaure Zinc is not needed.

Paul in CT

kubes40    -- 07-17-2024 @ 7:56 AM
  I agree that it is not necessary. I mean c'mon, in our lifetime, you are not gonna wear out the tappets.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

GK1918    -- 07-17-2024 @ 11:28 AM
  20-50 racing oil blended for classic flat tappet engines with friction modifiers bought some today, its something new at O'riellys also has just a little zinc which I read too much is no good.....Yesterday Napa didn't have any so I bought #40 and my oil pressure dropped drove only 9 miles so went to O'reillys for this new 20-50 Now my pressure back to normal 60lbs all day all night for $49 buck and Napa soaked me $85 for that #40. Also this 59A was fresh born on the other racing Valvoleen that had more zinc that was written on the bottle in (yellow) This new oil is different its the meow.. You will see the difference sam and I saved the drain oil for lawnmowers

This message was edited by GK1918 on 7-17-24 @ 11:33 AM

carcrazy    -- 07-17-2024 @ 12:27 PM
  It can be difficult to find out how much zinc is in the currently available motor oils. Unless it is a specialty, recently introduced, motor oil specifically made for use in older flat tappet engines, you can do the following. Check the API Oil Service Rating on the oil container. If the API Service rating is SL or lower, the oil should be OK for use in the engines of antique vehicles. If the API Service rating is SM or higher, the zinc additive package has been removed to meet current EPA emissions standards.

You can use just about any modern oil you want in antique engines as long as you use an additive which contains the proper amount of ZDDP additive.

One additive which offers the required amounts zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) is Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive. Just follow the instructions on the label for the correct amounts to use.

RICKS2L    -- 07-18-2024 @ 5:02 AM
  The original post was a simple question. Why do you guys have to go off on your personal agenda. The answer to the question is no i don't know where to get it

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17139