Topic: Broken Head or Intake Manifold Bolts

100alta    -- 07-12-2024 @ 1:34 PM
  On our 8BA engine, five of the 20 intake manifold bolts are broken off. We have not yet removed the manifold, so we don’t know if they are broken off above or below the surface of the deck. All five are next to an intake port. I think some of these may be accessible from the underside of the deck, but I’m not sure. What is the best way to remove these broken bolts? Will operating the car with these broken bolts cause any serious engine damage? There does not appear to be any leakage around the site.

carcrazy    -- 07-12-2024 @ 2:16 PM
  Are you sure you have some broken off bolts? Late Flatheads have less intake manifold bolts holding the manifold to the block than earlier ones do! Early engines have about 21 bolts while later ones only have about 16 bolts. If your intake manifold is from an early engine and you have it installed on a late engine, you will have about 5 empty holes.

CharlieStephens    -- 07-13-2024 @ 9:47 AM
  I had the same problem but it was about 40 years ago. I think the company I had remove them was "Jerry's Broken Drill and Tap Removal" ((714) 836-6824). I don't remember it being cheap but it was done right which is the important thing. Turn the project over to an amateur and they may do more damage. Welcome to the site, I hope you are also a member of a local club.

Charlie Stephens

100alta    -- 07-15-2024 @ 2:13 PM
  All of the 8BA blocks I have seen have 20 bolts as does our Offenhauser manifold. I’ve seen some manifolds that have fewer, but the bolts missing on our block are not symmetrical relative to the location of the ports. I'm sure we have at least three broken.

100alta    -- 07-15-2024 @ 2:15 PM
  Charlie - Thanks for the referral. Jerry's is still there and I'm going to see him this week.. Thanks again.

100alta    -- 07-15-2024 @ 2:28 PM
  Charlie. Yes, we are members of Reg. 11. We were members when we owned our '22 Touring with 1939 V8 60 drivetrain and '34 Phaeton, but let it lapse when we made the big mistake of selling those great rides.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17137