Topic: 36 Cabriolet Rumble Seat

cheeseman252    -- 08-15-2010 @ 10:10 PM
  I am in the process of doing body work on a 36 Cabriolet with a rumble seat. Does anyone have pictures of how this is kept weathertight specifically a lower drip pan and what it looks like. There is not one on the car I'm working on.
Thanks

flatheadfan    -- 08-16-2010 @ 2:21 AM

The short answer is, there isn't any. The original design counted on water flowing off the deck lid to the floor pan with the hope the water would drain out of one of two holes. This was a bad design from the beginning which explains why so many roadsters and cabriolets with an original rumble seat have severely rusted-out rear floor pans.

When I converted my '35 coupe trunk into a rumble seat I made a collection pan which fits on top of the floorpan. That was more than 20 years ago and based upon the amount of water it collects and subsequently drains out, it is working as I hoped.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 08-16-2010 @ 6:17 AM
  there is a water dam attached to the floor that is supposed to keep all the water to the rear of the rumble cushion. I have attached a photo of a 36 roadster and a 35 reproduction dam the 35 & 36 are different.

MOXIE    -- 08-16-2010 @ 5:50 PM
  40 Coupe. Would you attach a picture of the 35 pan you talked about. Your picture did not get attached. thanks

cheeseman252    -- 08-16-2010 @ 8:36 PM
  Thanks for the photo and the info, this car came into the shop and though it is a Hot Rod, it is an original steel body and shows signs of panel replacement. I doubt the owner will let it sit out in the rain, but it will be washed, and we are trying to do the right thing considering the amount of money he is paying. After looking through catalogs I see a lot of stuff is missing like fender braces and a brace for the step pedestal. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Bob

40 Coupe    -- 08-17-2010 @ 2:06 PM
  the web site seems to have a problem accepting the photos. If you email me I will send them to you. trboich@yahoo.com

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1711